It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2008, 07:12 PM   #1
(female)

Italia 43 HB User
can you get hpv in your mouth

i was dating a girl back 3 years ago and just last year she took a pap smear and it came back abnormal. she found out she had hpv and had it lasered off.. i had gone down on her. would i get this in my mouth.. everytime i take a pap smear its always negative.. does hpv ever go away and can you get it in your mouth or on your fingers from fingering a girl..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2008, 08:54 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: can you get hpv in your mouth

If the HPV showed up on her pap, then it is probably high risk HPV, not low risk HPV.

HPV is transmitted by skin to skin contact, not body fluids. HPV (that we usually talk about on this board - the 20+ strains that can affect the genitals include the cervix, vagina, vulva, penis, anus, mouth/throat). So yes, she could have transmitted it to you, or you could have transmitted it to her. It could be transmitted by oral, manual, vaginal intercourse. I've read in one location online that it can be transmitted by manual intercourse, but I have only seen that one place.

Your (and her) body will always maintain a record of having been exposed to HPV. Hopefully, you are one of the ones who will never have any further problems from HPV. It hasn't been ruled out, so *I* think it is safe to assume it could flare up later in life.

ALWAYS stay current on your pelvic exams and pap smears.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2008, 04:23 AM   #3
(female)

Italia 43 HB User

my pap smears and pelvics and cultures are always normal though...

Old 12-01-2008, 09:39 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

That's good. Keep up with those paps. If you are over 30, you might ask your doctor to do an HPV/dna test along with your next pap. Women over 30 are less likely to fight the virus than women under 30.

Old 12-04-2008, 05:00 PM   #5
(female)

Vacover HB User

You can have the virus in your mouth (from oral sex) and it could become mouth cancer (it progresses slowly). Oral cancer is on the rise and is showing up in younger kids who have never smoked or chewed tobacco. They have found the HPV virus is linked to this. There is a test that any oral surgeon or dentist can perform. It runs $50-75 (insurance won't cover it because it's optional to have it) and very easy to do. This test will show if there are any cancerous lesions in your mouth.

Old 01-02-2009, 12:19 PM   #6
(female)

hellotoall HB User

I just had high risk cells removed and I asked my Dr the same question and he said that only low risk hpv can be found in the mouth and that even that was rare because I asked the same thing since I had hpv cells and the same regular sex partner did that mean that we both carried the virus in our mouths since we engaged in oral as well as traditional sex and he said no not to worry.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:21 PM   #7
(male)

jnottage HB User

I was diagnosed by my dentist about 3 years ago with papillomas on my tongue (3 of them)... I went to an oral surgeon who cut them out and performed bioposy (benign). I was told they all typically benign on the tongue , however, they like to remove them since they can grow deep stalks. I always kid my dentist and tell her never to find any more since the recovery after the two surgeries was very painful and uncomfortable (felt like knife in my tongue).

Old 01-13-2009, 04:34 PM   #8
(female)

blueskies7 HB User

Yes, you can get HPV in your mouth. I was diagnosed with a benign papilloma in my oral cavity, which had to be cut out.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:53 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Drafly HB User

In a study done at Johns Hopkins Oncology Center 25% of 253 head/neck cancers were found to be HPV related (this included oral cancers). Of those 90% were found to be HPV 16 one of the high risk types. So low risk types are not the only ones which can be found in the mouth.

Closed Thread