It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2009, 08:51 PM   #1
(female)

sib HB User
Question Concerned Mother

My daughter is 24, she was just told she has genital warts or I guess has HPV? She detected them and immediately called the doctor and made the appt. She looked online while waiting and saw the pictures of the warts and knew thats what it was. The doctor confirmed. She treated her there froze them or something and said she had to come back in 2 weeks to do this again. Dr. said that she would need to do this a total of 3 times. My daughter was with this young man 10 months ago. No one since until 2 weeks ago. Before the outbreak. I told her she needs to tell him asap. I am completely stupid in this area. What does this mean for my daughter? Can she ever have sex again? or a sexual relationship. How do married couples deal with this? Can she have children? Does this make it easier for cervical cancer? I saw some "Natural" remedies on line that help stregthen the immune system. Are these any good or can anyone recommend anything we can do?

HELP me help her.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:02 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: Concerned Mother

The Center for Disease Control has some really good information on HPV. I highly recommend you read what it says.

There are over 100 strains of HPV. More than 30 of them affect the genitals (male and female). Of those 30, there are 2 major types: low risk and high risk. There are 13 strains that can cause cancer, the remaining cause warts. There are 2 strains of high risk HPV that cause 70% of cervical cancer and there are 2 strains of low risk HPV that cause 80-90% of genital warts.

When I was diagnosed with high risk HPV, I had 2 appointments with my doctor just to talk about HPV. I took lists of questions in and left space to write answers. I had sooooo many questions. It really helped to just sit down and talk.

How is your daughter doing with her treatment(s)?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2009, 10:57 AM   #3
(female)

sib HB User

She has been to one. She said it was uncomfortable & painful but would deal with that. She has another on the 22nd. She is more mental now than anything. She has only had 2partners ever so this is ahrd for her. I want to help her understand that her life isnt over and a future marriage and family isn't impossible. I was wondering if she gets rid of the warts through this treatment. Stays healthy takes things to improve her immune system and had no more or minimal outbreaks would she still be able to infect someone else. I guess I always thought as long as the person wasn't broken out they would not be contagious?

Old 01-12-2009, 05:05 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Drafly HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sib View Post
My daughter is 24, she was just told she has genital warts or I guess has HPV? She detected them and immediately called the doctor and made the appt. She looked online while waiting and saw the pictures of the warts and knew thats what it was. The doctor confirmed. She treated her there froze them or something and said she had to come back in 2 weeks to do this again. Dr. said that she would need to do this a total of 3 times. My daughter was with this young man 10 months ago. No one since until 2 weeks ago. Before the outbreak. I told her she needs to tell him asap. I am completely stupid in this area. What does this mean for my daughter? Can she ever have sex again? or a sexual relationship. How do married couples deal with this? Can she have children? Does this make it easier for cervical cancer? I saw some "Natural" remedies on line that help stregthen the immune system. Are these any good or can anyone recommend anything we can do?

HELP me help her.
An initial answer to your post stated that only 4 strains of HPV cause cancer. This is untrue. It also said you shouldn't worry as your daughter has the low risk (warts) HPV. This is also untrue. Just because the 6/11 HPV is what came up on the biopsies for the warts does not mean that your daughter could not also have concurrent high risk HPV so as a mother of a 17-year-old and someone who has dealt with HPV for over two decades, you DO need to be concerned. It is irresponsible (thought I'm sure prompted by the desire to help) to state that your daughter will be just fine. No one can know this and to give you that idea and perhaps lead you to believe this is not so bad or worse not to continue with follow-ups even after the "warts" are removed simply is not the case.

Old 01-12-2009, 04:28 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

Thank you for chiming in Dragonfly. HPV is a vile virus, there is no guarantee what it will do in the future. One may fight the virus right now, but the virus is so prevalent there is no telling what will happen in the future with another (or this) strain of HPV.

Closed Thread