It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2009, 03:54 PM   #1
(female)

jessie8685 HB User
I have a question about HPV

Does having LSIL mean that I must have high risk HPV? or could I have low risk? My Dr never bothered testing me for HPV because he said there is no point because I must have it and the test cant tell us what strain. But I read all these women who find out from their tests that they have high risk or low risk. Can someone shed some light for me please?

Old 01-29-2009, 06:44 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: I have a question about HPV

From what I understand LSIL (and the other levels of dysplasia) are caused by HPV. A doctor can do a separate test to determine an active HPV infection, but it is a separate test (using a separate swab or just using more tissue from the pap). Some doctors, if the patient is diagnosed with some level of dysplasia, and the doctor has not run the HPV test, the the doctor assumes the dysplasia is caused by HPV.

I hope that makes sense.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2009, 10:42 AM   #3
(female)

blueskies7 HB User

I, too, am wondering the same thing. I have LSIL (or CIN I) and I don't know if it was caused by a low-risk strain of HPV or a high-risk strain. I've read that low-risk strains such as HPV 6 and 11 (or those strains causing genital warts) can also cause a mild form of dysplasia on the cervix, too. I was never tested to see which strain I have.

I am hoping that I was just infected with a low-risk strain (I also was treated for genital warts) but I always thought that any form of cervical dysplasia, either LSIL or HSIL, was caused by a high-risk form.

Anybody know?

Old 01-30-2009, 11:24 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Drafly HB User

With respect to cervical dysplasia, studies have shown that the majority of cases show hrhpv 16 and 18 and that a very minor percentage were shown to contain lrhpv 6 or 11. So while it appears that lrhpv can indeed affect changes in the cervical cells (dysplasia) this is a very low percentage compared to those caused by hrhpv. You should be tested to determine just which strains you have. If it does not show a few of those covered by the Guardasil vaccine I would suggest you get it if you are within the age range up to 26.

Last edited by Drafly; 01-30-2009 at 11:25 AM. Reason: question

Old 01-30-2009, 04:52 PM   #5
(female)

jessie8685 HB User

Apparently my Dr just tested me for HPV when I had my Colposcopy done 2 weeks ago. I was just given the results today; everything was normal (thank God), but I do have high risk HPV. So perhaps dysplasia only occurs with the high risk HPV type.

Old 01-30-2009, 05:13 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Drafly HB User

No, you can have dysplasia caused by lrhpv but this does not progress to precancerous/cancerous changes as in the hrhpv. Just what tyeps of HPV were you diagnosed with? So many people say their results came back positive for hrhpv but never mention which types they have. Glad everything came back normal however vigilence is still needed going forward.

Old 01-31-2009, 08:03 PM   #7
(female)

jessie8685 HB User

I do not know what types I have. I was only told it was high risk. My doctor had told me that there is no way of knowing what strain. I am confused, because I read posts with women stating what strain they have. Perhaps I misunderstood the doctor. After all, I was a bit anxious during that conversation so that is not completely out of the question. I am going back for a follow up pap in 4 months, and I am taking a multivitamin with folic acid.. increasing my veggies and fruits and exercising. I dont know what else I can do, but if you do, please let me know

Old 01-31-2009, 08:09 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

Jessie, I don't know what strain(s) I have. Hubby specifically asked my doctor and she said the test only showed positive for hrHPV. :shrug: I kind of wish I knew.

Closed Thread