It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2009, 10:45 AM   #1
(female)

wondering2009 HB User
how long can hpv be undetected?

I was recently diagnosed with hpv and would like to know if it's possible for it to be undected for five years and through two pregnancies or is it more likely I've got it more recently from an unfaithful spouse?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2009, 05:12 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Drafly HB User
Re: how long can hpv be undetected?

HPV can go undetected for decades. It is impossible to determine exactly from whom you contracted the virus unless of course you had aboslutely NO sexual type contact at all and then were only with one person. Since men typically do not show symptoms they just pass it on to unsuspecting women. The sooner the FDA approves Guardasil for men the better. You should find out which types you have and if you are under 26 consider getting the Guardasil vaccine to protect against those types you do not have (unless you are positive for all four that it covers already). While immunosuppression during pregnancy can exacerbate HPV nothing is 100%. I cannot comment on your husbands faithfulness but I certainly wouldn't run out and file for divorce either. In my case, HPV went dormant for 15 years and then returned 2 years ago. It's normal to want to blame someone when you find out you have HPV but I think what's more important here is getting your husbands support and understanding. Depending on which type of HPV you have, you're going to need it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2009, 09:42 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: how long can hpv be undetected?

Dragonfly has given so good information.

One reason this may have never been detected (and that you've had it a while) is because the test was only approved 4 or 5 years ago - and most doctors are just now beginning to use it for women over 30. Not all doctors use it yet.

HPV is not a good determiner of fidelity in a relationship. It can hang around for sooooo long without being identified.

I've faithfully been with my husband for 16.5 years (and he has been faithful) and was diagnosed with high risk HPV in Jan 2008.

Closed Thread