It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2009, 09:10 AM   #1
(female)

questionsinnyc HB User
colposcopy...bleeding...cramping

I had a Colposcopy/ECC done on Thursday the 5th. I have had HPV since 2006 and this is the first time my doctor did a colposcopy. I have been complaining about abnormal bleeding to my doctor since 2007. Since mid 2008, I've been having abnormal bleeding plus bleeding and pain most of the time after sex. When I went in for my colposcopy I explained this all to her and reminded her about my past complaints that obviously have not been resolved. I am a little frustrated because, yet again, she said that she just thinks my birth control pill is the wrong dosage and we should change it. This is about the 3rd time we have just changed the pill since I first complained in OCTOBER OF 2007. Can birth control pill cause irregular periods, bleeding after sex, and pain after sex? She did not do a biopsy when doing the colposcopy but did do the ECC. I am still waiting for the results. She said that she doesn't think I have anything to worry about. Should I get a second opinion or just try the other birth control pill?

Also, I had cramping after the colposcopy/ECC. Then, I started my period on Sunday and it has been the most painful period I have had in years. I am having lots of back pain and sever cramping. Recently I have had cramping...some months worse than others...but it usually doesn't last this long. I am in so much pain! Also, the blood has been almost black in color and lots of mucus/ clots and stuff. I sometimes have this dark brown/black discharge and bleeding but it has been heavy and constant during this entire period. I'm not using a tampon because I read that you should wait a week before using a tampon or having sex. Has anyone else had similar things happen after a colposcopy/ECC? Should I be concerned? I'm just praying that the pain will end soon...it is very distracting and intolerable at times.

Thank you! You all are always very helpful.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2009, 04:35 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: colposcopy...bleeding...cramping

Hi Questionsinnyc, I thought I replied to this, but evidently I accidentally closed that window*

The discharge you have described (in combination with your period) sounds like what is expected after a colpo + biopsy/ECC. The doctors probably applied a solution that, when mixed with blood, appears black/grey/silver upon discharge. It stops the bleeding from any tissue sampling they did during the procedure. That discharge can last 7-10 days.

Have you received the results of the biopsy? The doctors office usually has the results back in 4-6 business days. I usually call to get the results, rather than wait until my follow up appointment. I'm just too anxious.

You will need the results of the pathology report from your colpo/ECC if you go to someone else, so I suggest you hear what your doctor has to say, then decide.

Based on what you've said, I'd suggest you book a second opinion (for some time after your follow up appointment). Your doctor may be right, that it is related to the BC pills, but it would be comforting to hear another view point, I'm sure.

I hope that helps! Write back when you can!

*= hubby distracted me with a link to the story of the baby otter that was found in the UK and has a webcam!

Closed Thread