It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2009, 10:30 AM   #1
(female)

IWGB1805 HB User
Panicking!!

Hi all,

I was diagnosed with HPV on Fri. I don't know anything about what kind I have...all I know is the doc said maybe my body can fight it off if I take care of myself. I have a scheduled colposcopy (I don't even know if I spelled that right) on Monday. I have been crying nonstop for the past 5 days. I'm totally panicking. I can't tell my mom because she's very religious and would judge me. I haven't told my boyfriend either, but I know I have to. I'm terrified to, though. I'm so depressed. I can barely function. My mom keeps pressuring me to tell her what is wrong. I've been reading about all of these horror stories about cervical cancer, etc, so that doesn't help! Also, I'm 27 years old and still on my mom's insurance. I don't have a full-time job and I am in school full-time, so I'm under her insurance. I'm worried that if they have to perform another procedure on me, it'll show up on the insurance. I'm thinking the worst, which is bad because it doesn't change anything. I just can't help it. I feel like I have no one to turn to right now.

Old 03-11-2009, 12:08 PM   #2
(female)

LilyL82 HB User
Re: Panicking!!

Look, you are FINE, physically. You most likely won't need treatment. If you do, it's no big deal. I've had it done. You will be 100% okay. You don't have cancer, and if you continue to be looked after, you will never get cancer!

As far as you mom and insurance, have you thought about telling her and just leaving out the HPV part? Tell her your gyno found some abnormalities and now they are running more tests. Although most abnormal pap smears are caused by HPV, you can get an abnormal pap from anything, like a yeast infection. Tell her your doctor wants to do more tests to find out the reason for the abnormal pap, and you don't have to tell her more than that.

Last edited by LilyL82; 03-11-2009 at 12:08 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2009, 12:57 PM   #3
(female)

IWGB1805 HB User
Good news?

So, I called my doc twice yesterday and once today because I wanted my HPV results explained to me. When I found out Fri, I was too distraught to ask any questions. Finally someone called before and explained that I have high-risk HPV, but my cells are normal. They're doing a colposcopy Monday. How can they tell my cells are normal without doing the colposcopy? She told me it's preventative and that I have to go for paps every 3 months for one year. Is it possible to have normal cells and also have HPV? Totally confused, although it did ease my fears a little bit.

Old 03-12-2009, 01:05 PM   #4
(female)

LilyL82 HB User
Re: Good news?

They probably meant the cells on your pap smear are normal. It's is COMPLETELY possible to have HPV and normal cells! It happens all the time. This means there is a good chance your HPV will go away by itself. But you'll want to be watched closely until it does.

I think most doctors would not do a colposcopy at this point. But I think it's an EXCELLENT idea to have one just in case. Sometimes pap smears miss stuff. With the colposcopy, your doctor will be able to look and see if there is anything suspicious, and biopsy it.

It is preventative. You should probably get follow up paps every 3 months for a year like you doctor said, but I say keep going every 3 months until you test negative for HPV.

Many gynos don't do that, but that's really what should be done! It sounds like your doctor is pretty good!

You what this means? It's time to treat yourself well! Eat healthy. Get pleanty of rest. Try not to stress. And your body will do it's thing and get rid of the HPV.

Good luck!

Last edited by LilyL82; 03-12-2009 at 01:06 PM.

Closed Thread

« hpv | HPV »