It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2009, 02:48 PM   #1
(female)

Paige09 HB User
Hpv virus

I have done some research on the hpv..ive read that some causes of genital warts are from hpv. If genital warts is an std,does that mean hpv is a type of std? If not, how is that possible?

Old 03-27-2009, 05:47 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: Hpv virus

HPV is considered a sexually transmitted disease because the only way to contract/be exposed to it is through skin to skin contact (between genitals: cervix, vulva, vagina, penis, anus/rectum, mouth/throat).

All genital warts are caused by low risk HPV (the way I understand it). High risk HPV cause cellular changes which can (worst case scenario) lead to cancer (of any of those body parts).

Not all HPV = warts

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2009, 04:41 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User

Just to be technical, genital HPV is an STD.

There are over 100 strains of HPV and maybe 20 to 30 of those strains (I forget the actual number) affect the genitals, which make those strains STDs, not all of them. (You wouldn't say a kid with a wart on his foot has an STD, but it's still HPV.)

As for genital warts, like Pickle Eyes said, they're all from HPV.

Last edited by Thisby; 03-28-2009 at 04:45 AM.

Old 03-28-2009, 07:41 AM   #4
(female)

Paige09 HB User

I understand a little more now,thank you.I do have another question,though. I have also heard that hpv virus isnt curable?How i learned i may have hpv is i had an abnormal pap, which means i had adnormal cells? Im not completley sure about the whole thing, i'm still kind of new at this.But last year when i had my pap,it came back that i may have something that can lead to hpv virus,or cervical cancer..but after they took some samples and other things, everything came back ok.Now,this years pap is doing the same thing.Am I going to always have an abnormal pap from now on,and have to take these test? Or is it just something that can happen more than once? In other words, do i already have what cant be cured,or is my doctor just making sure everythings ok?

Old 03-28-2009, 09:12 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Once you have the virus, you have it. Your body might be able to fight the virus so it doesn't cause any damage, but the virus is still there. Think about chicken pox. Once you have it, your body keeps the virus. The virus usually doesn't cause any problems (once the chicken pox pass), but it *could* resurface later as shingles.

HPV might resurface later in life or it might stay so it doesn't cause more problems.

Low riks HPV cause genital warts. Those warts can show up on any of those organs I listed earlier, including the cervix. Sometimes a pap will come back abnormal because there is a small (or not so small) wart cells in the sample the doctor swabbed during the pap. Sometimes the cells that cause the abnormal pap are not caused by low risk HPV, but from high risk HPV (which could lead to cancer - worst case scenario). Sometimes even the high risk HPV cellular changes can heal themselves (if the woman is young enough, has a strong enough immune system, and has other factors in her favor).

If the abnormal pap is "low dysplasia" then the doctor will sometimes (often?) recheck the woman in 6 months to see if it is staying the same, getting worse, or hopefully getting better. The wait and check is purdent if the woman is young because younger women (under 30) are more able to fight the virus.

Sometimes the doctor wants more information after an abnormal pap (or after a positive HPV test) and will order a colposcopy with or without biopsy and/or an ECC. The pap is only a screening tool. The colposcopy gives the doctor a better idea of what the pap showed.

I hope that helps.

Old 03-28-2009, 06:40 PM   #6
(female)

Paige09 HB User

What if I dont know if i have the hpv virus yet, what if i just have signs of symptons that could later lead to it? Does that mean i already have it, or that i could get it? And one more thing, whats some things i can do to keep my immune system strong? That way if i do or was to get it, it would be easier to get rid of,or not be as bad? I am a smoker, and i have heard that may not be good...is this true?

Old 03-29-2009, 09:50 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Drafly HB User

There are a lot of "what if's" here. It would be helpful if you explained what types of symptoms you are having, why you think it might be HPV etc so we can better assist you.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:57 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

I would say don't worry about something the doctors haven't verified. If you are concerned about HPV, then go to the doctor and be tested.

Smoking lowers your body's immune response. If you are concerned about your body's immune response, then look into stopping smoking.

Good luck.

Old 03-31-2009, 11:45 AM   #9
(female)

Paige09 HB User

I still dont know exactly what is going on with the results from my pap smear, i recently moved,and have to get more information after i get an information release,but what i have gotten says: -interpertation:Low grade squamous intraepithelial lesion(LSIL)
Encompassing Mild Dysplasia and HPV effect. Specimen Source:Cervix/Endocervix
Specimen Type:ThinPrep Imaging system-processing system -Automative screening combined with manual review performed. Then a little below that it says Previous pap history June 06-negative Sept 07-ASCUS Feb 08-Negative and feb 09-LSIL..im not sure what a lot of this means but its what i received!! i will let you know when i know more

Closed Thread