It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2009, 11:35 PM   #1
(female)

curiouscat09 HB User
Sex life after being diagnosed with HPV

I was diagnosed with HPV last month and had my colposcopy and biopsy last week. Today, my gynecologist told me that I have mild cervical dysplasia or CIN 1 and high risk HPV (since I don't have any warts). I asked her about the effects of this to my sex life. She answered my questions but there are still a few things that are not clear for me.

1) I've been with my boyfriend for almost 6 months. We've had unprotected sex before I was diagnosed with HPV, so most likely he has it and possibly could have been the one who gave it to me. He's very supportive and we've decided to be in an exclusive committed long term relationship. However, we're not sure about how to go about our sex life. Should we still use condoms or is it pointless to use them? If we don't use condoms, will that exacerbate my condition? I don't want my CIN 1 to progress to level 2. I asked my doctor about this, but she just told me that it's up to me: if I feel like i'll stay with him, then there's no need because we're pretty much sharing the same virus, but if I have multiple partners, then I should definitely use condoms. I want a clear answer. What should I do?

2) What's the best or most appropriate treatment for CIN 1? My doctor told me that there's no prescribed treatment for now since it's mild. She said that we should just "wait and see", so she scheduled another pap test for me in Septemeber. Should I just really "wait and see" or should I aggressively find treatment for my condition right away? I want a second opinion.

3) I want to know what type of HPV I have. I'm not even sure if I have low risk or high risk. I'm assuming I have high risk because I don't have any genital warts. The results of my pap and colposcopy don't really say what kind of HPV I have. Is there a test that would determine the type of HPV I have (e.g. 11, 33, etc.)?

I'd appreciate your answers and opinions.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2009, 10:41 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

LilyL21 HB UserLilyL21 HB UserLilyL21 HB User
Re: Sex life after being diagnosed with HPV

1) You can't be re-infected with HPV from your boyfriend, but studies have suggested that you can "clear" the virus faster if you use condoms. It is believed that having sex makes some of the virus he has move on over to your body, increasing your viral load and making the HPV harder to fight.

2) There is no medical treatment for CIN 1, but the best thing is just to live healthy, get plenty of sleep and avoid stress. Also, some supplements have been shown to help. Mostly I've heard about taking folic acid and beta glucan. There is also this mushroom called coriolus versicolor that has shown some excellent results in a small study. (9/10 tested HPV negative in 1 year, versus 1/12 in the control group.) Coriolus is very similar to beta glucan, and is being tested for it's cancer fighting and immune boosting properties for all sorts of health issues.

3) Dysplasia and HPV would probably indicate you have high risk HPV. Warts would indicate low risk. However, I believe some low risk types of HPV can sometimes cause cervical dysplasia, but the dysplasia would almost never lead to cancer. There is a test for high risk HPV. The result will be either postive or negative for high risk strains. This is probably the test you had done. There is a test that does HPV DNA testing and will tell you exaclty which strain(s) you have. I strongly recommend asking for HPV DNA testing. HPV 16 causes most squamous cell cervical cancer, and HPV 18 causes most cancers in glandular cells, which are higher up in the cervical canal. Glandular abnormalities cells cannot always be detected by a pap smear. If you are postive for HPV 18, definitely ask for an ECC (endocervical cutterage). It's like a pap smear but gets cells higher up in the cervical canal.

I swear I know way more about this than most gynecologists. They never know about the HPV 18 connection to glandular changes.

Many doctors will tell you that you don't need an HPV test because "you have it." Your HPV will probably never really go away, but the test needs a certain amount of the virus present in order to be postive. Thus if your body fights off the HPV, it will "clear" your system and you will test negative. The HPV can become active again as well. This is why you should INSIST on HPV testing at every future visit. You should defintely be watched more closely if you have an active HPV infection.

Last edited by LilyL21; 04-01-2009 at 10:43 AM.

Old 04-01-2009, 06:45 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

I don't have anything to add to what Lily said. I just wanted to pop in and say Hi and I'm sorry you are having to deal with this.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:46 PM   #4
(female)

curiouscat09 HB User

Thanks LilyL21 and PickedEyes. Your answers are very helpful.

Old 04-06-2009, 06:45 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

LilyL21 HB UserLilyL21 HB UserLilyL21 HB User

Also, I forgot to add, no smoking!!

Old 04-07-2009, 06:16 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User

I am having pap smear issues myself and this has been going on for years and years. A year and a half ago a nurse did mention "hpv". I was told the younger you are the easier it is to get rid of it as opposed to the older you are.

I really don't understand this virus as i first heart of it when i had a smear done before i got married years ago and my then husband and i were each others first partners. Later on in a pap smear i was told there was no HPV. Now i'm told that it is and that pretty much everyone who has had sex gets some form of this virus.

I'll be having a another colcoscopy in a month after issues with my last pap test. I'm now trying to work out what to ask for as i've never been tested to see which strain i could possibly have or whether it is in fact hpv related.

Kowing which tests/procedures to ask for is also confusing and all the other questions too. I can related in some way to the original poster and thanks Lily for your knowledge too. This is why boards like this are so helpful.

Last edited by Audrey-B; 04-07-2009 at 06:20 AM.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:29 PM   #7
(female)

luckylauren HB User

hi! great answers!!! so clear! i still have one more question..

after the hpv (specifically cervical cancer types) "clear", does spreading of the virus still occur with new unprotected intercourse?

Last edited by luckylauren; 10-11-2010 at 11:30 PM.

Old 10-20-2010, 04:59 PM   #8
(female)

jewels0614 HB User

Hi Luckylauren,

To answer your question, I'm almost positive that HPV never is completely "clear", it may just not show up on a pap or otherwise, and because of this, they say its gone, but its not. You can still pass it on to a new partner.

I also have some questions of my own for anyone who can help me. I just got a pap a couple weeks ago, and it cam back with a positive HPV test, and ASCUS cells. What does this mean exactly? All the abnormal cells cancer? or simply abnormal from the HPV? The told me to wait a year and then get another pap. This seems dangerous to me. What if it is cancer? I'm just not quite sure what to do, or what to make of these results. Any info would be great! :]

Old 10-21-2010, 08:20 PM   #9
(female)

luckylauren HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewels0614 View Post
Hi Luckylauren,

To answer your question, I'm almost positive that HPV never is completely "clear", it may just not show up on a pap or otherwise, and because of this, they say its gone, but its not. You can still pass it on to a new partner.

I also have some questions of my own for anyone who can help me. I just got a pap a couple weeks ago, and it cam back with a positive HPV test, and ASCUS cells. What does this mean exactly? All the abnormal cells cancer? or simply abnormal from the HPV? The told me to wait a year and then get another pap. This seems dangerous to me. What if it is cancer? I'm just not quite sure what to do, or what to make of these results. Any info would be great! :]
i would get a second, even third opinion. really.. all this hpv stuff and the "big man in charge makin the big bucks from it" can alter our doctors perspective on what's really the right thing to do. it's really sad western culture has come to this when it involves health care. bottom line, watch yourself. all in all, they don't care. maybe not so much your doctor, but "the big man" at least, which also effects your doctors office when you think about it. just seek more opinions. maybe even try some eastern practices.

Closed Thread