It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2009, 04:09 PM   #1
(female)

dodgerfan99 HB User
HSIL/HPV/Abnormal

Hey there,

I am new to the boards and am scared to death. I have so many questions and am confused, really.

I had an pap in Dec 07 that came back abormal and so I had a colposcopy that came back LSIL. I was suppose to go back in 6 mos for a follow-up, to see if it regressed or progressed, which would have been Jun 08. I got pregnant in Feb 08 and my OB/GYN said they'd do a pap smear following my pregnancy... well, they did a few wks ago and it came back abnormal again but... This time HSIL!!!! what does this mean? I'm scared.

I go for a colposcopy Friday, Apr 24th @ 9am.

Old 04-19-2009, 04:20 PM   #2
(female)

dodgerfan99 HB User
HPV/HSIL abnormal

Also, I found out by reading my own Pathology report, from 07, that I have HPV... here is my report...which I don'treally get... Do you know?

GROSS:
A—Received in formalin, labelled and colpo 2 o’clock is a soft tan irregular tissue fragment which measures 0.4 x 0.3 x 0.2cm. Wrapped. The specimen is totally embedded. Number of cassettes: 1
B—Received in formalin, labelled i and colpo 11 o’clock is a slightly firm white irregular tissue fragment which measures 0.4 x 0.2 x 0.2cm. Wrapped. The specimen is totally embedded. Number of cassettes: 1
C-Received in formalin, labelled and ECC is an aggregate of soft cloudy white glistening mucoid material which measures 0.6 x 0.5 x 0.2cm. Wrapped. The specimen is totally embedded. Number of cassettes: 1

kmn725:kl: 12/07/07
MICROSCOPIC:
Microscopic examination performed and description incorporated into the final diagnosis.

DIAGNOSIS:

A—CERVIX, BIOPSY FROM 2:00:
LOW GRADE SQUAMOUS INTRAEPITHELIAL LESION (LSIL; MILD SQUAMOUS EPITHELIAL DYSPLASIA; CIN1).
HPV CYTOPATHIC EFFECT.

B—CERVIX, BIOPSY FROM 11:00:
LOW GRADE SQUAMOUS INTRAEPITHELIAL LESION (LSIL; MILD SQUAMOUS EPITHELIAL DYSPLASIA; CIN1).
HPV CYTOPATHIC EFFECT.

C—ENDOCERVICAL CURETTINGS:
SCANT BENIGN ENDOCERVICAL GLANDULAR EPITHELIUM, INSUFFICIENT
FOR DIAGNOSIS.

Last edited by Mod-S4; 04-19-2009 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Please do not post the same question on multiple boards. Threads merged.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2009, 04:53 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: HPV/HSIL abnormal

Hi, Dodgerfan, those pathology reports can really make ones head spin when you first start reading them. The report (from 07) indeed says that you have LSIL and that the ECC didn't get a lot of tissue.

If your more recent pap says you have HSIL, then the colpo is a good next step. The pap is only a diagnostic tool. The colpo can give the doctor a MUCH better idea of what is going on. I suggest you ask for another ECC at this colpo and you might comment that last time there wasn't sufficient tissue for diagnostic. The ECC is the only nonsurgical way to sample the tissue in the cervical canal; and the tissue in the cervical canal is different (glandular) from the tissue on the outer cervix (squamous).

I know you are anxious, but your doctor sounds like he/she is following proper protocol.

Let us know how you are doing, ok?!

Old 04-19-2009, 05:03 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Re: HSIL/HPV/Abnormal

I think I forgot to say that it sounds like the LSIL has progressed to HSIL. There could be several reasons for that, one is that the virus has progressed, the other is that (I think, not totally sure) that the healing of the cervix (say from delivery of a baby) can cause cervical changes that can be detected on a pap.

If it is the former, then the doctors are getting to it quickly. There are several things a doctor can do to treat: the biopsy (during the colpo) itself can sometimes remove all atypical cells and that allows the body time to fight the virus (so it doesn't cause future problems); the doctor might say you need something like cryotherapy which burns/freezes/removes the cells (which allows the body time to heal); or some other more invasive steps . . . BUT . . . the good news is that for many women, just the colpo (and biopsy) is sufficient to remove all of the dysplasia. The good news is that you are keeping up with your appointments and your doctor seems to be keeping a good eye on you!

And I totally forgot to tell you congratulations on your baby! What did you have? a boy or a girl? How old?

Last edited by Mod-S4; 04-19-2009 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Reference to merged thread deleted.

Old 04-19-2009, 05:56 PM   #5
(female)

dodgerfan99 HB User

Thank you for replying... I had a baby girl and she is just 6 months old. It's amazing to havea baby! Think that's why I'm freaking out ...

Thank you for reply to me girl!!!!

Old 04-19-2009, 07:45 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

You are very welcome, Dodgerfan!

I never had children, but I know how nervous and anxious one can get when one learns they have something wrong with their cervix!

Old 04-20-2009, 05:42 AM   #7
(female)

dodgerfan99 HB User

Pathology Reports are confusing. I kept reading the last line where it says benign scant and was thinking ... Uh Ok ... And... Ha.

I go through moments that I'm freaking out/scared, to the point I can't breath and than another one I'm OK. I hate it. I wish I wasn't so dramatic and freaked.

I have new doctor due to switching insurance but I'm surprised the previous doctor wouldn't say somehting about not getting enough tissue... I mean, I am like, what if it was cancer that long ago?!

Old 04-20-2009, 05:34 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

YOur emotions being all of the place is really typical.

When it comes to the scanty tissue, I think most doctors don't worry about those results on the pap. Personally, I'd be REALLY upset, especially if I repeatedly got "scant" type results. It is something to bring up so the next appointment the doctor can be sure to get a good scraping . . . but you might feel the pap more. I think it is worth it to get a good sample.

Closed Thread