It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2009, 11:35 AM   #1
(female)

thirza HB User
CIN 1 Should I be concerned??

Hy guys new to this site so be gentle lol

I had a smear after postcoital bleeding about 7 months ago.On speculum examination the nurse also said my cervix looked inflammed and i had fissures???
I work in the hospital so looked up my results which said CIN1. Other infections was ruled out and all negative ie chlamydia, gonnorreah?sp, bacterial vaginosis. I did not know what this meant so called my drs and they said that all results were normal. Do i need to take this further?? The doctors dont seem too concerned.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2009, 01:18 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

LilyL21 HB UserLilyL21 HB UserLilyL21 HB User
Re: CIN 1 Should I be concerned??

CIN 1 isn't "normal." It's completely wrong for your doctors to tell you that.

Still, about 70% of CIN 1 goes away on it's own in within 2 years. It's usually not treated. Still you should get pap smears at least every 6 months until it goes away.

I'm not sure what a "fissure" is! Sorry.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2009, 05:29 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

Hi, I'll see what little bit I can add.

Like Lily said, CIN I is not normal. It *is* a very low level of atypical cervical tissue (usually of the squamous cells).

Fissure literally means tear or rip. I don't know if they are new tears and rips or old, healed ones. The inflammation can be many different things. Anything from an irritant, to something being in the vagina soon before the appointment to things that can cause medical concern.

Did your doctor do an HPV test? May I ask how old you are? Women under 30 tend to be able to clear CIN I. Women over 30 have a much more difficult time clearing the virus (HPV) which usually leads to CIN results on paps/biopsies.

When did your doctor say that you needed a follow up appointment?

Old 06-13-2009, 01:32 AM   #4
(female)

thirza HB User

I am 33 yrs old and have two kids, I have the mirena coil fitted which is due to be removed as it is 5 yrs old. I havent been told I need reviewing so it is another smear apparently in 5 years for me lol.
With regards to pap test will have to look it up when i go back to work.
thanx guys.

Old 06-13-2009, 05:59 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mom22greatkids HB User

Waiting five years for another pap? I wouldn't do that, especially with CIN 1 results. I had that result with my recent pap and the colposcopy showed CIN 2 so now I have to have LEEP. Try to get more clarification on your results and why they said it was normal, or a second opinion.

Old 06-14-2009, 07:11 AM   #6
(female)

thirza HB User

Im in work 2morrow so I will print off all the results. If I have had a pap test I will try and make an appointment to see my GP to see if they can explain why I was told my result was normal.

You'd think i'd know more about this stuff as i'm training to be a midwife pmsl :-)
I've just been to busy to research it further if u know what i mean.

Thanks a lot peeps you've all been really helpful

Old 06-17-2009, 12:08 PM   #7
(female)

jana83 HB User

Five years is definitely too long in any case!! If your insurance doesn't cover more, pay for it yourself - it shouldn't be too expensive (it's about 40€ where I live). You need to keep an eye on this, but there's no reason to worry too much at this point I think.

Old 06-20-2009, 10:31 AM   #8
(female)

tgrobar75 HB User

CIN 1 on a pap smear should never be called normal. Pap smears are only screening tests, they do not diagnose anything. With this result, a colposcopy should be performed. As a previous poster said, if it is mild dysplasia or HPV and you are under age 30, it may in fact resolve on it's own. However, you should be getting paps every 6-12 months with HPV typing to monitor any change for the worse.

If you are over age 30, they may suggest treating you with cervical cryotherapy or a LEEP (if the dysplasia extends further into the cervix, or if it is a higher grade than the pap showed).

Closed Thread