It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2009, 10:29 PM   #1
(female)

Rhonda11 HB User
Anal HPV

My boyfriend and I decided to try anal sex and were wondering if I could get HPV in my anus. I have been diagnosed with HPV and have had it taken out, but we have had vaginal sex without a condom before that. We don't use a condom when having anal sex. Am I at risk for anal cancer?

Old 07-23-2009, 10:50 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: Anal HPV

Yes.

If one of you is positive for HPV, then any genital skin to genital skin contact can spread the virus. Genitals include: vulva, vagina, cervix, penis, anus/rectum, mouth/throat.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2009, 01:27 PM   #3
(female)

Rhonda11 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickle Eyes View Post
Yes.

If one of you is positive for HPV, then any genital skin to genital skin contact can spread the virus. Genitals include: vulva, vagina, cervix, penis, anus/rectum, mouth/throat.

So is there anyway to find out if you are positive for it in your rectum? I am not even sure if my boyfriend has HPV. I just know I did/do and we have had sex without a condom before. If there is a way to find out if it is in my rectum, is there a way to remove it from there?

Old 07-24-2009, 03:08 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Do you know if you were diagnosed with low risk or high risk HPV?

HPV is a virus that once you have it, it is there for life. That doesn't mean that it will cause problems for life; it is just there. There is some research that says it can reactivate later in life, in some circumstances.

It is also important to know that greater than 80% of women who have been sexually at some point have been exposed to at least one (of 30+) strain of HPV by the time she is 60 years of age. It is VERY common. For most people, they never know they have been exposed to the virus because they never have negative consequences (genital warts or any type of dysplasia). It is transmitted very easily because of skin to skin contact, not body fluids.

The doctor can do an anal/rectal smear which is very similar to a pap smear. I don't know if a doctor will do one without symptoms (and have it covered by insurance).

It is fairly safe to say that if you and your boyfriend have had intercourse then he has been exposed to the virus.

The virus itself cannot be removed. Damage caused by the virus can be removed if/when it is found.

I hope that helps.

Old 07-24-2009, 06:27 PM   #5
(female)

Rhonda11 HB User

Quote:
Do you know if you were diagnosed with low risk or high risk HPV?

HPV is a virus that once you have it, it is there for life. That doesn't mean that it will cause problems for life; it is just there. There is some research that says it can reactivate later in life, in some circumstances.

It is also important to know that greater than 80% of women who have been sexually at some point have been exposed to at least one (of 30+) strain of HPV by the time she is 60 years of age. It is VERY common. For most people, they never know they have been exposed to the virus because they never have negative consequences (genital warts or any type of dysplasia). It is transmitted very easily because of skin to skin contact, not body fluids.

The doctor can do an anal/rectal smear which is very similar to a pap smear. I don't know if a doctor will do one without symptoms (and have it covered by insurance).

It is fairly safe to say that if you and your boyfriend have had intercourse then he has been exposed to the virus.

The virus itself cannot be removed. Damage caused by the virus can be removed if/when it is found.

I hope that helps.

I had moderate to high dysplasia when the HPV was "removed" I haven't had any symptoms regarding my rectum(knock on wood) so hopefully it is not there. Thank you for your help

Old 07-24-2009, 08:26 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Have you been keeping up with your pap tests, especially since you had high dysplasia?

Old 07-24-2009, 09:13 PM   #7
(female)

Rhonda11 HB User

Quote:
Have you been keeping up with your pap tests, especially since you had high dysplasia?

I have my first Pap after having the dysplasia spot removed in about a month. Hope it all goes well :S

Closed Thread