It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2009, 01:37 AM   #1
(female)

neutro HB User
Do I really need a leep procedure?

I had a smear done last year that came back with high grade changes. I then had a colposcopy done. The biopsy came back with low grade changes. At the same time, they did another smear which again came back with high grade changes. A few months later, I had the same procedures done with the same results. Now the clinic wants me to go through with a loop excision (LEEP). I'm not sure that it is absolutly necissary as I have had 2 colposcopies with 2 biopsies each come back with only low grade changes (both gynos told me everything looked fine.

It really worries me because the doctor told me that after the procedure, I will have a higher chance of preterm labour or even miscarriage when I get pregnant. I have a very high rate of miscarriages in my family history. My huband also does. Neither one of us can think of a single family member who has not had this issue.

I am worried that they are pushing the procedure because they can't figure out what is going on with me and are just covering in case it is the high grade changes.

I really don't want to increase my chances of having preterm labour if this is not a necisarry procedure to do straight away. They want to do the procedure in the next month. Would there be any reason I can't just wait until I have children (I can start now) to do this procedure?

I am also looking at getting my immune system back up and running (I havn't been taking the best care of myself as of late). I am going to see a naturopath tommorrow for advise on how to get this boost. Is there any downsides to waiting a few months so I can try a natural treatment rather than risking future pregnancies?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2009, 09:38 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: Do I really need a leep procedure?

The biggest "down side" to waiting is it could progress to cancer.

It sounds to me like you've had repeated low grade and high grade changes to your cervix. I'm not exactly sure which results are from paps and which are from colposcopies, but I know that the results from the colposcopies are more accurate than those on the pap. The pap, after all, is only a screening tool.

Do you know if your doctor has done and ECC (endocervical curettage)? Do you know what your pathology reports say? If not, I highly suggest you get copies of your pathology reports and see what they say vs. relying on what you've been told.

If you decide to have the LEEP, then you need to know that the doctor can do something called a purse string cerclage. This helps hold the cervix closed so the woman can carry the baby to term. The baby is then delivered via c-section.

I hope that helps.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:26 PM   #3
(female)

neutro HB User

Thank you for the reply. During both colposcopies, I had a smear done. Both smea cme bck wih high grade changes. I also had a couple of bipsie done each time. These bo came back with low grade. Both times, the gyno said that thinks looked pretty good. The second colpo, the gyno opened up my cervix a little bit and said that there was nothing going on in there. No culture taken. I would think that the biopsies would be more accurate than the smears, that is why I am questionin the procedure. They are trusing the smears more than the biopsies...

Old 07-29-2009, 01:21 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Have you considered getting a second opinion?

Old 07-29-2009, 05:22 PM   #5
(female)

neutro HB User

Where I live (New Zealand) this is all done under the public health care system. In my location, there is only 1 place to go for these sort of things. So a second opinion is not really available.

Each colpo was done by a different doctor, but all the results were looked at by the same team of people who came up with the diagnostics.

Have you heard of anyone treating themselves naturally with success? I understand that low grade can be cured naturally with one's immune system, so I am just hoping that if I get my immune system right, I might be able to do things that way rather than risking future pregnancies or a surgery that may not even be necissary.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:04 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutro View Post
Have you heard of anyone treating themselves naturally with success?
No, I have not.

I know there are a number of things one can do to boost the immune system, I just don't know how they work against HPV.

Old 08-03-2009, 05:04 AM   #7
(female)

RachP02 HB User

I was diagnosed with HPV back in 2006 and had a LEEP procedure done in December of 2007. I was very concerned at the time, but my doctor assured me that having a LEEP done rarely affects your ability to get/maintain a pregnancy. Since my LEEP I have had several paps done (probably at least 5) and they have all come back normal so I think it was worth it. (it's a very minor surgery) Someone on the pregnancy board was worried about getting pregnant after a LEEP, so I will copy & paste my response here for you, intead of retyping it all. Hope it helps!!

I had a LEEP done back in 2007 and am currently 31 weeks pregnant. I was very worried about getting pregnant after a LEEP, but my doctor assured me that only a very small sliver of your cervix is removed during a LEEP & that it is very rare to have any complications resulting from it. That being said, I did have 2 prior miscarriages before this pregnancy. One in August 2008 & one in November 2008. Then I got pregnant for the 3rd time in January 2009. Neither of my miscarriages had anything to do with the LEEP procedure, so I don't want to worry you. (they think my body was not producing enough progesterone on its own) With this pregnancy I was put on progesterone supplements as soon as I got pregnant & continued on them throughout the 1st trimester. With all 3 of my pregnancies I got pregnant the very 1st month that we tried, so I had absolutely no issues with trying to conceive. The major concern with getting pregnant after a LEEP is possibly having an incompetent cervix. Again this is pretty rare according to my doctor, but if they removed a lot of your cervix, it may not be able to withstand the weight of the baby & you could go into pre-term labor or have a miscarriage. This is not why I had my miscarriages!! Just wanted to point that out. Because of my LEEP, I have had more ultrasounds than most people, because they have kept an eye of my cervical length. A normal cervix should be around 3-4 cm. Even with my LEEP my cervical length has been about 3.5 cm throughout this entire pregnancy. (IT was never checked with my prior pregnancies b/c I lost them very early on) They checked it in the beginning, again around 18 weeks, and again around 28 weeks. My length has not changed at all, so now they are confident that all will be fine. Even if your cervix is too short they can put a stitch there called a cerclage (SP?) and that will keep it closed until its time for you to deliver. So your best bet is not to worry too much, but talk to your doctor about your concerns. Tell them that you want your cervical length checked periodically, its very easy for them to do. If its too short, they will stitch you up, but most likely you will be okay. Good luck with everything, & sorry for such a long reply!

Closed Thread