It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2009, 01:16 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

calidreaming HB User
throat warts/tongue warts

I was just curious how likely it is to get throat or tongue warts if you have genital warts? Im not entirely sure whom I got the genital warts from, but am pretty sure I had oral contact at some point or another.

Does this mean I will develop oral warts?

Reason I ask is i noticed a bump on my tongue that i would describe as a 'tag'. Im afraid its a wart! How do i know?

Old 08-11-2009, 07:07 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: throat warts/tongue warts

If it hasn't healed in a few days, I'd say go to the doctor who treated your genital warts or a dentist.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2009, 01:34 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

calidreaming HB User

I asked my mom what she thought it looked like. She says it looks like an inflamed taste bud. Maybe im being overly paranoid. Are mouth warts common? I thought it was really rare for them to appear in the mouth/throat.

Also, I have an OBGYN check up next week for the genital warts and a cyst i have. Would she be able to check out my mouth too, just to be safe?

Old 08-11-2009, 02:46 PM   #4
(male)

pitcherred HB User

yes the virus that causes most type of genital warts can cause mouth warts fairly easy. But generally in people susceptible to warts. - id be concerned also there woiuld be an underlying immune problem such as HIV. - id have it checked asap - if they spread in your throat and mouth it can be very nasty

Old 08-11-2009, 08:59 PM   #5
(female)

blueskies7 HB User

The only surefire way to determine if it is an oral papilloma (oral wart) is to have it biopsied and/or removed. I too had genital warts and had oral sex with the person who gave it to me. I ended up seeing an ENT doctor after I noticed a bump in the back of my throat. I had it removed surgically and the pathology tests confirmed that it was a benign papilloma. In other words, it was an "oral wart", likely caused by the same HPV strain I have down in my genitalia. Just last week, I noticed another bump on the side of my tongue. It looks just like the papilloma that was removed in the back of my throat. I am debating now whether I want to spend the money to see my ENT again to have it removed.

The Following User Says Thank You to blueskies7 For This Useful Post:
Dee53 (11-10-2011)
Old 08-12-2009, 09:25 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

calidreaming HB User

ok, well i had to reschedule the obgyn appt. BUT I am wondering... I just saw an ENT last week. Before I noticed the problem. Wouldn't he have said something, he thought it was wart related?

Also these bumps are even on both sides of the mouth.. I think what im feeling in lingual tonsils, maybe? Also I have no other auto immune diseases, i.e. hiv/aids.

AH this hpv stuff is so aggravating!!!

Old 08-12-2009, 10:00 PM   #7
(female)

blueskies7 HB User

Sometimes even an ENT cannot tell whether a suspicious looking bump is HPV related. My ENT up until the day he excised the bump in the back of my throat believed it to be simply "tonsil tissue," or just a normal variance of oral mucosa. But at my insistence, he removed it. After pathology did testing on it, it was confirmed that it was a papilloma. Sometimes oral warts look just like regular bumps or lumps. The only way to be sure is to have it sent to the lab to be tested. This means getting the bump surgically excised, which unfortunately can cost a lot of money.

Last edited by blueskies7; 08-12-2009 at 10:01 PM.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:40 AM   #8
(male)

jbay HB User

Hey Guys!!!

This crazy HPV needs to stop for good! I am sooo sick of thinking of this! Has there any updates about such medication to atleast lower the spread of HPV warts? Does anyone know if you take the vaccination, does it lowers the HPV virus from spreading it? I am a guy, just got tested negative from HIV testing. I got my biopsy 3 weeks ago, tested positive for HPV on tonsil. The thing about my doctor is he only "burn" the wart, he doesnt wanna remove my tonsil as it hasn't got swollen. I had my visit a week ago and he said, so far not spreading it but who knows...Has there any one out there who took the vaccination even after exposure? Has there any progress from it?

Old 08-31-2009, 12:48 AM   #9
(female)

blueskies7 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmalubay View Post
Hey Guys!!!

This crazy HPV needs to stop for good! I am sooo sick of thinking of this! Has there any updates about such medication to atleast lower the spread of HPV warts? Does anyone know if you take the vaccination, does it lowers the HPV virus from spreading it? I am a guy, just got tested negative from HIV testing. I got my biopsy 3 weeks ago, tested positive for HPV on tonsil. The thing about my doctor is he only "burn" the wart, he doesnt wanna remove my tonsil as it hasn't got swollen. I had my visit a week ago and he said, so far not spreading it but who knows...Has there any one out there who took the vaccination even after exposure? Has there any progress from it?
Hi, I got the HPV vaccine even after I was exposed to it. There is no harm in getting the vaccine, in my opinion, because you might not have been exposed to the 4 strains which the vaccine protects against, so you will at least be protected from those which you haven't been exposed to yet.

As for getting a tonsillectomy, I'm still on the fence about that. I'm pretty sure I have some HPV growths on my tonsil but I don't believe they are of the high-risk strain (i.e they are benign, and not cancerous) There could be complications that arise from getting the tonsillectomy so until a major problem presents itself, I am just going to wait and see.

Closed Thread