It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-04-2009, 10:18 AM   #1
(female)

Arina83 HB User
HPV in men

Hello,

I was wondering if somebody could give me some advice. My boyfriend was tested for HPV and the results came positive. He has HPV 6 (low risk) and HPV 52 (high risk). However, he has no symptoms. We did not have sex or any skin to skin contact as we briefly met a few months ago and had a long distance relationship since then. I will be visiting him soon and I'm a bit scared I might contact the virus. All my pap smears have been normal, but I haven't been tested for HPV specifically. Assuming I will get infected with HPV 6 and 52, how dangerous are these strains?

Thank you,

Old 09-04-2009, 08:33 PM   #2
(male)

jbay HB User
Re: HPV in men

Hi!

How do you exactly know the type of HPV he got? What kind of test did he take to know the type of HPV he has? As for your concern, I suggest to take the same test as he did so you'll find out. I have HPV and I dont know what type I got (hence I ask what kind of test he took). HPV is very tricky disease, even if you use condoms there's still a chance you can contract with HPV for reasons like condoms break and not the entire male genital part can be covered with condom.I got HPV on my tonsil and I always use condom both oral and anal. There's now study too that you can contract HPV from french kissing, it kinda make sense cuz some HPV lesion/warts exist on the tongue so if that tongue goes in your mouth, there's a possibility that you'll be expose to it. Sadly, for men or atleast thats how i know it, HPV on men is hard to treat, so far none has given me any medical/topical treatments for my wart on my tonsil (luckily, i dont have on/in my butt).
As for your relationship goes, the future lies in your hand, if you wanna continue this and there's a pretty good chance that you'll be expose to it. Whatever your decision, you need to talk to your guy and express your concerns and fears. Some people are using HPV as indicator for "fidelity". So you might wanna start from there considering you're in a long distance relationship. If I'm in your shoes, I'll choose to not expose myself to this tricky and very perplex STD. I mean i'll take gonorrhea or syphilis in a heartbeat in exchange to this cuz with those STDs atleast they're treatable and curable...
Good luck, hun.

Jake

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-05-2009, 01:06 AM   #3
(female)

Arina83 HB User

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. To take the test he went to a clinic where they usually test women for HPV and the doc took a small stick and started to scrub on his genitals and then another stick which he inserted a bit in his penis and took a sample form there too. Then the samples were sent to the lab and after 7 days he got the results saying he's got the virus and the strains are 6 and 52.

Now I'm a bit confused because from what I have read there isn't a proper reliable method to test HPV in men. Am I right? So how much can I trust his results? I don't know if they are accurate or not.

Are there any other guys around who were tested for HPV? Please reply...

Thanks,

Old 09-05-2009, 11:24 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

It sounds to me like the testing they did on him is the way they test men for HPV (unless they are suspected of having anal/genital HPV, then it is tested similar to how a woman is given a pap). The test is approved by the FDA (in the USA) for men. It isn't used very often because men don't normally suffer from negative effects from the virus; it is also supposedly very uncomfortable.

The test is reliable (as far as I've read), it just isn't widely used.

Old 09-05-2009, 11:38 AM   #5
(male)

jbay HB User

Hi!

Funny you loosely use the statement "men don't normally suffer from negative effects from the virus" Cuz to tell you honestly, I suffered a lot of negative effects from this crazy confusing virus! I'm beyond panicking at times as i dont know if it will get worse or the wart will go away... Beyond that, no doctors really care about treating it as they say something like "oh you dont have to worry you dont really get any negative effects from the virus" well actually they do! Not to mention, tonsillar cancer is now highly link with HPV! The Horror guys! The Horror!
On the light note, I am so taking that test. I wish more and more people are publishing this kind of test. I am so writing to many people about this test. Thanks Pickle eyes, your posts are really helpful!

Have a good weekend,
Jake

Old 09-05-2009, 12:48 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

Jake, I don't mean to discount your struggles with HPV. I sincerly don't. The fact remains the same, men do not typically suffer from negative effects of HPV. I can empathize with your feelings though. I had good paps, annnually, for over 25 years, but ended up being diagnosed with cervical cancer. The paps never detected the precancerous cellular changes in my cervical canal. I am in the teeny-tiny percentage who ends up with cancer despite good annual paps. It sucks to be in that tiny percentage. I figure our stories are good devices for warning people of what CAN happen with HPV.

Some combinations of low risk and high risk HPV are dangerous combinations. Somehow, the combination makes the chances for cancer increase. I'm not sure what those strain combinations are, though.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:17 PM   #7
(female)

jacmay HB User

To All:

Actually, they (doctors) are finding out now that HPV is causing penile (sp) cancer. I am in for my second fiight of AIS, and my ob-gyn, stated because I have sons, they will be more suseptable(sp) of getting a reaction if they would contract HPV, because of my body not being able to fight off the virsus. She stated this is brand new information and they are focusing now on working on a vaccination for boys as well as girls because of this new information. She stated it something in my genes that is not allowing my body to fight this virus and my sons could be a carrier and would be a canidate for this vaccine when/if it becomes available.

I thought it was interesting information, because as you know everything you read and even doctors (even this doctor) a year ago were saying men are highly unlikely to have side effects.......not so true....

Closed Thread