HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Human Papillomavirus (HPV) (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/human-papillomavirus-hpv/)
-   -   HPV in the mouth questions (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/human-papillomavirus-hpv/712255-hpv-mouth-questions.html)

Julia000 09-12-2009 12:26 PM

HPV in the mouth questions

I have been reading alot on here about people with warts and cancer in their mouths.

What are the symptoms? Can you see it or is it like colds or something? Is there a screening test the doctor can do?

Just curious

jbay 09-12-2009 08:58 PM

Re: HPV in the mouth questions

[QUOTE=Julia000;4076649]I have been reading alot on here about people with warts and cancer in their mouths.

What are the symptoms? Can you see it or is it like colds or something? Is there a screening test the doctor can do?

Just curious[/QUOTE]

Well I have wart on my tonsil and ofcourse freaking out. the wart kinda look like a cyst and every time you swallow it seems like something is stuck on your throat. thanks to the internet there are so many websites that shows how and what a healthy tongue, tonsil and mouth should look like, so try to do the spot the difference thing. That's what I did and it got detected that I have HPV through biopsy... good luck... jake

Julia000 09-13-2009 07:15 AM

So Jake was it cancerous? How long was it there?

jbay 09-13-2009 09:16 AM

thankfully it wasn't cancerous. My doctor wants me to visit him monthly to monitor any spreading but ofcourse, I dont want to wait for a month so I decided myself to see him every 2 weeks. He doesnt mind it though. He's been holding me for tonsillectomy, I kept thinking of myself if I follow his order then I will keep feeling that something stuck on my throat every time i swallow so now i'm changing my doctor and may soon get tonsillectomy. This is the reason why I join an online support group like this because I thought someone is in the same situation, it looks like im the only one dealing it and i should be put in a test tube to be studied (lol). So anyone out there how to deal with HPV on tonsil please please please share...
Like everyone in here, age seems a crucial way to determine if HPV would turn cancerous. as I am 26, even my doctor say it's less likely for me to have HPV and immediately things go crazy and i'll get cancer. He told me as long as I keep a good healthy lifestyle like not drinking and smoking (which I dont) and ofcourse thanks tiggy here who help me and gave me hope that HPV can be remove out of your system as long as you eat and live a healthy lifestyle. So if i were you, if you get HPV pos from a biopsy i would start eating and living a healthy lifestyle. I just had a full glass of carrot shake (carrots has pretty good antioxidants) and I am drinking my 3rd cup of green tea (green tea has high antioxidants too). So just keep observing whats going on in your mouth and girl, you need to see a doctor! It's amazing no matter how careful we are with our sexual lives, it could really change the rest of your life! Sex after all isn't worth it! It opens to a can of worms (HPV worms!)! I just read an article about the oldest woman who just recently died, she said she never "fooled around." So i hope people out there listen to her cuz i think the more you fool around the closer you are to your grave (just a thought!). Had I know about this before, i would never ever have sex at all! Man, the whole stay virgin til you get married or stay virgin forever if you dont wanna get married is apparently true...lol! Good luck girl and keep questions coming and keep this posts alive cuz this disease exists and we need everyone's support!!!

Jake

Julia000 09-13-2009 10:03 AM

Well Jake that is the main thing that it wasnt cancerous! As long as you use protection I think you will be ok.

I will definately calling my doctor. I know of other people that have spots/bumps on their tongues and they aren't concerned! Like ***? Are they crazy...i am just paranoid i guess that way. Anything odd in your mouth or on your bodyfor that matter ISNT normal. Better to be safe then sorry.

To the fooling around part...yes its best to be smart!

I will post again when i find out whatis going on with me Jake

jacal5 09-25-2009 04:13 AM

Jake, I'm afraid you are correct in saying it's not worth the HPV health risk to have sexual contact. My neighbor's friend who is in his 30's was just diagnosed with HPV related oral cancer in his cheek.

My niece is 14 yrs. old and just started high school and says there is too much disease going around and therefore she's not interested in dating boys now or in the future! I think she is a wise girl and is making the correct decision. I'm middle-aged, single, and don't date either for the same reason. I read that 25% of single women aren't dating due to fear of catching STD's.

The fact that HPV can be spread by French kissing is devastating, I read that a bigger percentage of men will get HPV related oral cancer than women, but both sexes are at risk of oral cancer.

I'm shocked at the ignorance of the public regarding HPV, most have no clue how transmission occurs (even some medical people I have spoken with), and think they will be saved by a condom! There should be more public awareness of the danger of getting HPV from ANY sexual contact, even kissing.

Good luck to you.

jbay 09-25-2009 09:42 AM

Oh my cancer on the cheek!!! Now that is scary! It's the first time i heard of that. I wonder what signs and symptoms you'll get. Yes, it's not worth it at all! Until a team of scientists will find a cure to HPV there's no way i'm having sex. Yes, it's true many many many medical practitioners are unaware of HPV. My 4th (got that 4th!) ENT doctor laughed at me when I told him I'm thinking of getting HPV vaccine despite my exposure. And responded that I dont have a "cervix". The moment he told me that i was like "ok doc, thanks for the time. I have to go" then switch to a different ENT. Because I'm scheduled to have tonsillectomy sometime in the next 3 months, so please send me positive thoughts for a speed recovery. I'll give details to my tonsillectomy soon. As for public awareness, i wish more and more people are asking about this situation. Email the Doctors TV and Dr. Oz, these people seem to be most effective of getting the message across... Let's get this together guys! We dont wanna get cancer because someone kiss us!

[QUOTE=jacal5;4086057]Jake, I'm afraid you are correct in saying it's not worth the HPV health risk to have sexual contact. My neighbor's friend who is in his 30's was just diagnosed with HPV related oral cancer in his cheek.

My niece is 14 yrs. old and just started high school and says there is too much disease going around and therefore she's not interested in dating boys now or in the future! I think she is a wise girl and is making the correct decision. I'm middle-aged, single, and don't date either for the same reason. I read that 25% of single women aren't dating due to fear of catching STD's.

The fact that HPV can be spread by French kissing is devastating, I read that a bigger percentage of men will get HPV related oral cancer than women, but both sexes are at risk of oral cancer.

I'm shocked at the ignorance of the public regarding HPV, most have no clue how transmission occurs (even some medical people I have spoken with), and think they will be saved by a condom! There should be more public awareness of the danger of getting HPV from ANY sexual contact, even kissing.

Good luck to you.[/QUOTE]

jacal5 09-25-2009 05:19 PM

If you are surprised by HPV related oral cancer of the cheek, I read they have found the HPV virus in nasal cancer also. My friend happened to mention that her female neighbor was diagnosed with nasal cancer, so I researched it to see if it could be HPV related and sure enough, the article said HPV has been found in nasal cancer. I don't know if her neighbor has HPV related nasal cancer or not.

Last week on The Doctor's they mentioned that condoms offered protection from HPV when they had audience questions on different medical issues. I was really annoyed that they are misleading the public and was going to write them, but then I forgot, I got busy with home repairs, but I will send them a letter over the weekend.

Most doctor's are so ignorant and incompetent it's scary, you are much better off researching on your own, and then tell them how to treat you, provided they don't get ****** off and throw you out of the office (LOL).

I can't believe that moron M.D. said you didn't have a cervix, when you asked for the HPV vaccine! What about the risk of penile, anal, and oral cancer? You should have told that idiot the last time you looked you had all of those parts! It sounds like that doc is missing a brain!

Don't forgot there are over 100 strains of HPV, so the vaccine may protect you from the strain you don't already have.

Sending best wishes and good thoughts for a speedy recovery after your procedure!!!!!

jbay 09-26-2009 07:20 AM

So true! I couldnt agree more. Next week I'm going to see the potential doctor that will do my tonsillectomy. It's a really pricey procedure, though, it had promise me that the procedure will be outpatient and a really nice place. While Im there I decided to retake my STD tests. Let's hope it will all turn out negative. I did my test last May it was negative and 2 weeks after I got tonsillitis thanks to many many Haagen Daz ice cream I kept eating from an awful hot summer weather. Then i got a fever for a day and then boom, suddenly i felt something stuck in my mouth. Then the rest is crazy history! Now i kept pacing in my living room thinking and thinking, and decided that while i'll meet the doctor for consultation and planning i'll have to take an agonizing rapid testing! Ugh, see what you have to put up when you had sex (safe sex!)!!! I wonder how rock stars and Paris Hilton do it, sex here and there and wow, they never experience any HPV outbreak (lol!) or any stds! Oh lord, i can't wait to the day where I'll be free from this worries... I remember the time when I just have to worry about maintaining my six pack. Thanks to this virus, I'm gaining a lot of weight!!! Wish me luck...