It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2009, 05:34 PM   #1
(female)

klay HB User
Wink Efudex for HPV

Hi:

I am new here and I am wondering if anyone can help me. I was diagnosed with HPV about 5 months ago. I was given Efudex to help get rid of it. By the way, I never developed warts, but it was confirmed in a skin biopsy. It was external. After 30 days on Efudex...i thought the hell would be over. But the Efudex seems to have completely burnt my skin off. Seriously! I have been recovering from the Efudex for nearly 3 months. I am wondering if anyone has used Efudex for HPV (external-on vulva)....and if anyone can tell me how long it will take me to recover. My skin still burns and it is even difficult to walk. It has been such a trying time. There are times when I think I will forever live in pain. Can someone help!

Thanks from the bottom of my heart

Old 09-17-2009, 10:40 PM   #2
(female)

blueskies7 HB User
Re: Efudex for HPV

Hi, I never used Efudex before but I have used Aldara for genital warts. Aldara also has a burning effect but not to the extent you are describing. May I ask what kind of HPV lesions did you have? Do you know if it was a high-risk strain that caused VIN-type (vulvar intraepethelial neoplasia) lesions? Or were you diagnosed with a low-risk strain that can cause genital warts?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2009, 02:23 PM   #3
(female)

klay HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskies7 View Post
Hi, I never used Efudex before but I have used Aldara for genital warts. Aldara also has a burning effect but not to the extent you are describing. May I ask what kind of HPV lesions did you have? Do you know if it was a high-risk strain that caused VIN-type (vulvar intraepethelial neoplasia) lesions? Or were you diagnosed with a low-risk strain that can cause genital warts?
Blueskies,

Thanks so much for answering! I did not have lesions or any kind of warts. I just had this crazy itching for a month, and they thought it was just a regular infection. After it did not go away, they did a biopsy and they diagnosed me with HPV. My doctor said it is possible HPV type 6 or 11, because the symptoms were external. That is why she prescribed Efudex. Never again, next time I will get acid for sure. I am a bit better. They told me that the stinging means that the skin is in the last stages of healing. I hope so, after so long I was starting to give up. I also read that Efudex causes some permanent damage...but I am hoping that is not me) Anyhow, I will see my doctor again this week and see what she think again. I am becoming a frequent flyer in her office) Thanks so much!

Old 09-21-2009, 07:12 PM   #4
(female)

sosickofthis HB User

WOW!!!!! I had to use Efudex in Jan this year, for 7 days. Mine was for warts on my cervix. I had to completely and thickly cover the entire outside with vaseline (several times a day)so I didn't get any on me there. But some still did (no matter how hard you try it will happen). I had horrible burns there. The Dr gave my lidocaine to numb them and it was wonderful. I had to go every 2 weeks for 6 months and every time I would go I had to have acid treatments, which was nothing compared to the other. I haven't been in 3 months but have noticed I need to go back (dread it). But i didn't know how long the places had been there, they weren't bothersome until I knew I had them. yeah the Efudex destroys everything in its path, I had never heard of using externally. I can't imagine

Old 09-22-2009, 10:02 AM   #5
(female)

klay HB User

Dear Sosickofthis:
OMG. Wait, let me see if I understand correctly. You got external burns? So did you get the lidocaine to numb the external burns??? And from what I understood, these burns lasted for 6 months? Please, please let me know! I am going to see my gyno on Saturday and I want to prove to her that this can happen. She thinks it is so weird that I have had this burns for 3 months. Seriously, 6 months? Did you use anything else other than lidocaine. Please, please, I would really appreciate your answer.

Thanks so much

Old 09-22-2009, 07:03 PM   #6
(female)

sosickofthis HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by klay View Post
dear sosickofthis:
Omg. Wait, let me see if i understand correctly. You got external burns? So did you get the lidocaine to numb the external burns??? And from what i understood, these burns lasted for 6 months? Please, please let me know! I am going to see my gyno on saturday and i want to prove to her that this can happen. She thinks it is so weird that i have had this burns for 3 months. Seriously, 6 months? Did you use anything else other than lidocaine. Please, please, i would really appreciate your answer.

Thanks so much
ask your pharmacist what efudex does to skin, my gyno told me to make for positive to not get it on my external skin. I used enormous amounts of vaseline on my external area to keep from getting the burns and still got some anyway. The lidocaine numbed them until they healed. I used the efudex to get rid of places on my cervix (where there is no feeling anyway) it kills several layers of skin so "brand new" skin will come back i think i would at least call another dr and ask about using it externally "down there". Efudex is a chemotherapy cream used to treat skin cancer.NO, the burns didn't last 6 months i had to keep going for 6 months to get rid of the places on the outside which was done with acid (for the small ones) and 1 laser treatmentwhich i had to be put to sleep for.

Last edited by sosickofthis; 09-22-2009 at 07:06 PM.

Closed Thread