It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2009, 06:47 PM   #1
(female)

blueskies7 HB User
Question First CIN I, then normal pap, now ASCUS pap

I was first diagnosed with HPV (genital warts) in September 2008. I then scheduled a pap smear, and discovered that I also was infected with a high-risk strain, that resulted in a CIN I diagnosis. I was told that the infection would likely clear on its own and that I should have a repeat pap in 6 months. I went in for a 2nd pap smear in March 2009 and the result was a normal pap smear. I also had an HPV test done and the result tested positive for HPV 58. My gynocologist said it was not uncommon to have a normal pap smear but still test HPV positive. It just means that the HPV is still there but not causing any celluar changes on the cervix. I went in for a 3rd pap smear last week and the results came back today as ASCUS. (Atypical Squamous Cells of Undetermined Significance). My gyno also ran a HPV test and I again tested positive for HPV 58. (No other strains detected by the test)

My gynocologist wants me to come in for a colposcopy just to check to make sure there are no abnormal lesions. I don't understand how I went from a normal pap smear to now ASCUS results, when it's still the same HPV strain as before.

Has this happpened to others before?

Last edited by blueskies7; 09-17-2009 at 06:51 PM.

Old 09-17-2009, 07:47 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: First CIN I, then normal pap, now ASCUS pap

It is likely that the doctor didn't sample the same area the first, second, and/or third smears. Paps are just screening tools, not diagnositic tools. The colposcopy will give a more accurate analysis of what is going on with your cervix.

Quote:
I also had an HPV test done and the result tested positive for HPV 58. My gynocologist said it was not uncommon to have a normal pap smear but still test HPV positive. It just means that the HPV is still there but not causing any celluar changes on the cervix.
From what I've read, and what my gyn/oncologist said, this is not correct. If you are testing positive for HPV, then you have an active virus. The active virus can cause cellular changes. I may be wrong, but this is what I understand.

May I ask how old you are? If you are under 30, it is very possible for your body to clear up the CIN and/or ASCUS.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2009, 09:12 PM   #3
(female)

blueskies7 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickle Eyes View Post
It is likely that the doctor didn't sample the same area the first, second, and/or third smears. Paps are just screening tools, not diagnositic tools. The colposcopy will give a more accurate analysis of what is going on with your cervix.

From what I've read, and what my gyn/oncologist said, this is not correct. If you are testing positive for HPV, then you have an active virus. The active virus can cause cellular changes. I may be wrong, but this is what I understand.

May I ask how old you are? If you are under 30, it is very possible for your body to clear up the CIN and/or ASCUS.
I had the my first abnormal pap smear at Planned Parenthood last year when I was 29 (I'm now 30). The abnormal pap smear was followed by a colposcopy and a ECC, which found no cancerous cells in the cervical canal, but a diagnosis of CIN I nevertheless.

Thereafter, I found my current private practice gynocologist, who did my 2nd pap smear in March and this last one last week. She didn't exactly say that the HPV virus is "not active", only that the 2nd pap smear was normal and that the abnormal CIN I cells from my first pap/colposcopy (done at PP) had apparently cleared up on its own. So she basically said that I still had HPV but that there were no abnormal cells detected. Granted, I was taking so many vitamin and herbal supplements between my 1st and 2nd pap smears to try and help my immune system clear the infection.

After that normal 2nd pap smear, I wasn't as diligent taking my cocktail of vitamin and herbal supplements, although I did try and eat healthy. I also was under stress the last couple months. Could it be a combination of those two factors that turned my normal pap into the now ASCUS result?

Oh and Pickle Eyes, did you ever find out which high-risk strain of HPV you had? I have 58, which, although high-risk, is not one of the two strains (16 and 18) that cause 75% of cervical cancers. (I've read your previous posts so I am familiar with your history). Thanks...

Last edited by blueskies7; 09-17-2009 at 10:55 PM.

Old 10-09-2009, 07:04 AM   #4
(female)

gina17042 HB User

I had hpv 58 also and after the laser vaporization i test 2 times negative for hpv and 2 normal paps with 2 normal colposcopy and now 6 moths later from the last normal pap and negative hpv test seems i have again mild to moderate dysplasia(colposcopy result), i wait the result of the pap and hpv test now....!
I like you also can not find any explication to this !

Old 10-15-2009, 06:37 AM   #5
(female)

lcope88 HB User
Cool Re: First CIN I, then normal pap, now ASCUS pap

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskies7 View Post
I was first diagnosed with HPV (genital warts) in September 2008. I then scheduled a pap smear, and discovered that I also was infected with a high-risk strain, that resulted in a CIN I diagnosis. I was told that the infection would likely clear on its own and that I should have a repeat pap in 6 months. I went in for a 2nd pap smear in March 2009 and the result was a normal pap smear. I also had an HPV test done and the result tested positive for HPV 58. My gynocologist said it was not uncommon to have a normal pap smear but still test HPV positive. It just means that the HPV is still there but not causing any celluar changes on the cervix. I went in for a 3rd pap smear last week and the results came back today as ASCUS. (Atypical Squamous Cells of Undetermined Significance). My gyno also ran a HPV test and I again tested positive for HPV 58. (No other strains detected by the test)

My gynocologist wants me to come in for a colposcopy just to check to make sure there are no abnormal lesions. I don't understand how I went from a normal pap smear to now ASCUS results, when it's still the same HPV strain as before.

Has this happpened to others before?

you can still have normal paps done with having hpv i have hpv and i just had a bi opsy done today and got digonsed with cin 1 good luck you u and god bless you, i might have to have a leep done

Old 10-15-2009, 06:38 AM   #6
(female)

lcope88 HB User

i have cin 1 and the drs might want to do a leep on me can anyone tell me how bad the prodicure is? and what the procdure fells like please?

Old 10-15-2009, 02:08 PM   #7
(female)

Rachael2102 HB User

I haven't mine yet, but my doctor offered to do my procedure at a hospital so that I could be fully put to sleep. You should ask your doctor if that's an option. If not, I know they numb you with a shot, just like they would if you were getting a tooth pulled or something. I'm sure that doesn't feel great but shouldn't last too long! Good luck, girl!

~Rachael

Old 10-17-2009, 09:54 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

Bluesky, I never found out which strain(s) of HPV I have/had. I'd like to know, but at this point I don't think it is imperative for me to know.

Best wishes to you!

Closed Thread