It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2009, 03:48 AM   #1
(female)

afrah HB User
Ascus for 40 years and above

First pap test showed Atypia, second test after 14 months showed ascus, I'm 41 year old and HPV positive ( test done 14 months ago). I'm not sure if this means an improvement or maybe the case is worsen.
afraid to go through any procedure. what would be the best treatment approach for me

Old 09-27-2009, 02:19 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: Ascus for 40 years and above

Hi, Afrah, I strongly suggest you ask for copies of your pathology reports. The reports will tell you what tissue was taken, what tests were run, what the results were and what the recommendations of the pathologist are.

It is my personal opinion that no atypia should be allowed to continue for 40 years without further investigation! Have you been going to the same doctor all of this time?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2009, 10:03 AM   #3
(female)

afrah HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickle Eyes View Post
Hi, Afrah, I strongly suggest you ask for copies of your pathology reports. The reports will tell you what tissue was taken, what tests were run, what the results were and what the recommendations of the pathologist are.

It is my personal opinion that no atypia should be allowed to continue for 40 years without further investigation! Have you been going to the same doctor all of this time?

Old 09-28-2009, 10:18 AM   #4
(female)

afrah HB User

I did the first pap smear test just a year and a half ago, as well as PHV DNA test. I was 39 year old at that time. I did the test based on doctor's recommendation, to find out the reason behind some yellow dicharge that comes and goes in the last 2 years. The first tesy result was a typia (just around a year ago).and hpv dna positive.
a year after I did another pap smear to see whether improvement is there, and the result came( ASCUS, adequate , non-infamatory ). the report name is (conventional cervical cytology report) As per doctor she said that the ubnormal cells are turning to more advanced situation, and recomeded piopsy

Old 09-28-2009, 06:04 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Did she say what type of biopsy she wants to do? I suspect it is a colposcopy. If so, ask her if she'll also do an ECC (endocervical curettage) at the same time.

Old 09-29-2009, 11:54 AM   #6
(female)

afrah HB User

yes, but i want to go by watch and wait approach... is it ok?

Old 09-29-2009, 07:29 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

If you have had abnormal paps for over 40 years, then I think it is far past time for a doctor to investigate further.

I don't know why you want to continue waiting-and-watching when the doctors are recommending further testing, but I'm sure you have your reasons. I thank God my doctors offered the tests and biopsies they offered, when they did.

Old 09-30-2009, 12:57 AM   #8
(female)

afrah HB User

But is it really necessary to do the telocspoy piopsy at this point of time??
I'm thinking to use the watch and wait tactic, and do the pap smear every 4-6 months, along with healthy diet and focuses on food that boost the immunity system...
If watch and wait approach is not recommended to my age, I would like to Know that...
Warm regards

Old 09-30-2009, 05:10 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

There are a few things I don't completely understand. Maybe I am misunderstanding something.

You said you are 41. Your thread title says "Ascus for 40 years and above". I don't understand if the thread title means you have had ASCUS for 40 years. I'm not sure how that can be, if you are just 41. I don't understand the "and above". "Above"/greater than 40 years or "above"/greater than ASCUS?

If you have had 14 months of bad paps (even ASCUS), then it is prudent and appropriate for the doctor to seek more information. One reason is age. Women under 30 who have a pap result of ASCUS or low grade changes (sometimes called CIN I) might be able to fight the negative effects of HPV. This is often true. Sometimes, a woman younger than 30 with moderate dysplasia (CIN II) can fight the effects. Women who are that young with CIN III/ severe dysplasia rarely are able to reverse the cellular changes.

Women over 30 are significantly less likely to fight the negative effects of HPV, even low level cellular changes (ASCUS, CIN I, or mild dysplasia).

From what I've read, watching-and-waiting shouldn't go on for more than a year or two. If the results are continually coming back the same or worse, (or the woman is over 30), then it is best to investigate further.

The colposcopy and possible biopsy (including a possible ECC (endocervical cerretage)) are the next step after wait/watch.

There is one more thing I don't understand. You asked about "the telocspoy piopsy". I don't know what that is.

I hope that helps.

Last edited by Pickle Eyes; 09-30-2009 at 05:12 PM. Reason: misspelled "curretage"

Old 10-08-2009, 06:45 AM   #10
(female)

afrah HB User

thank you very much

Closed Thread