It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2009, 01:12 AM   #1
(female)

gizmo33 HB User
high risk hpv with ascus.....

I'm 22 yrs old and i just was told that i have high risk hpv with ascus. I'm not totally sure what this means, i have been doing a lot of research but i still don't really understand. I know i high risk hpv is what causes most cervical cancer and that ascus means my cells were abnormal but what should i do about it? My doctor said to come back in 6 months for another pap but it's difficult waiting 6 months wondering if i have cervical cancer or not and knowing if i do it's growing in my body throughout this waiting period.

I guess what scares me the most is that i have always had problems with paps. I had my first pap when i was 16 and it came back abnormal, they told me to come back in 6 months for another one. However i had started taking depo during that time and ended up having my period for 5 months straight and they couldnt do the pap while i was on my period so we waited an extra 5 months while i was given numerous types of birthcontrol to try and make it stop. finally when i did go back in they did it again but the pap was basically incunclusive and they didnt have enough cells (so they were generous enough to give me m next one for free!) I then had another pap and they said i had more discharge then normal and treated me for some infections. After that i had my paps yearly like normal and everytime they said i had too much discharge and gave me treatment for an infections. And then know i find out i have high risk hpv with ascus, i just dont know if all these infections could have something to do with that and if it's possible that i have had this for 5 yrs.
I just once want to go in for a pap and hear that everything is totally normal and im fearing i never will but that doctors dont seem to be doing anything about it. They don't seem worried so does that mean i should'nt be?
I would appreciate any one that could help me understand what is going on with me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-08-2009, 12:42 AM   #2
(female)

kennes HB User
Re: high risk hpv with ascus.....

I have also been diagnosed with the same high risk hpv. My test came back abnormal so my doc, whose no stranger to cancer and is super caucious decided to do colposcophy. This is when they use a scope to look at your cells to see if they are changing and look abnormal. If it is decided that you have mild dysplasia, then i would suggest getting the leep procedure. My doctor told me that most times the cells get back to normal and i could wait six months and get another colp to see if they are ok but i decided to be on the safe side and get the odd cells removed. The leep procedure involves a tiny electric loop that simply removes the irregular cells from your cervix wall. They used localized annestesia and it can be done right in your gyno office while you fully awake. You don not feel a thing, just a little pressure and some minor cramping and spotting after. Its not bad at all. Well my gyno got all the irregular cells the first ime. Hope this helps and be strong and safe

Last edited by kennes; 10-08-2009 at 12:44 AM.

Closed Thread