It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2009, 08:50 PM   #1
(female)

marartibee HB User
Confused HPV

I recently went in for my annual pap and the dr.s office called to tell me the pap was normal but i was positive for hpv. She then told me I would have to come back in so the dr could look at my cervix under a microscope. I don't have any history of hpv and have had no symptoms. How do I know what type I have and what is this test they are performing. I didn't peak to the dr directly and the person I spoke to was not very helpful. Ive been with my husband for five years.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2009, 08:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: Confused HPV

You may not know what strain of HPV you have. I don't. All I know was that the last time my doctors checked I was positive for high risk HPV.

It is likely, though I don't know, that this is the first time that your doctor tested you for HPV. That is why you now know that you have it.

I'm curious as to how old you are. If you are over 30, then it is becoming common for doctors to run the HPV/dna test along with a woman's pap. The two tests have a very high accuracy rate in detecting cervical problems.

When you say you have been with your husband for 5 years, I suspect you are wondering how/why you are just now receiving a positive HPV test. If that is your line of thinking, the answer is probably more likely due to you just recently being tested, and not for any other reasons. I'll just state this, HPV is a horrible indicator of fidelity.

HPV can be in someone system for years or decades before it is detected.

Mine was. I had my first HPV test when I was 44, but hadn't had a new sexual partner in 16 years; so the HPV had been in my system for at least 16 years. It had only just been detected because I was tested for the first time that year (did that sentence make ANY sense? it was a grammatical train wreck!).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2009, 08:45 PM   #3
(female)

marartibee HB User

I just turned 30 in September. It s true that HPV can go away I've been reading some posts that say it will go away on it's own.

Old 10-24-2009, 11:46 AM   #4
(female)

littlemissy88 HB User

Yes, my HPV went away on it's own and I never had symptoms either. I only had it for four months. I would talk to your doctor with questions - he should be more than happy to answer them. I called my doctor like three times with different questions.

Old 10-24-2009, 08:50 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

It is important to remember that there are two major types of HPV: low risk and high risk. Low risk HPV can cause genital warts. High risk HPV can lead to cellular changes when can cause cancer, in worst case scenarios. Genital warts can go away, untreated, after a year or so. High risk HPV can "clear". This is more typical in women under 30 who have something less than, or equal to, low grade dysplasia (CIN I). Women who are over 30 and/or have moderate dysplasia (CIN II) or higher are much less likely to "clear" the virus.

Clearing HPV doesn't mean it is gone. HPV stays in the body forever. There are also over 30 strains of HPV that can affect the genitals. It is possible for HPV to become active again, even after the body has cleared all symptoms (warts if low grade, dysplasia if high grade).

Old 10-24-2009, 09:23 PM   #6
(female)

sosickofthis HB User

i know i have the kind that causes warts, but i believe i also have the one that causes cancer. can i have both.

Old 10-24-2009, 09:57 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yes. One can have both types of HPV (low risk and high risk). It is also possible to have more than one strain of low risk and/or high risk.

There are over 100 strains of HPV. More than 30 of those strains effect the genitals (vulva, vagina, cervix, penis, anus/rectum, mouth/throat). Of those 30 strains, some are high risk and some are low risk.

Closed Thread