It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2009, 03:02 PM   #1
(female)

jnb515 HB User
Exclamation Will my hpv come back?

I was diagnosed with hpv about 2 years ago. I was recently checked and had a colposcopy and found out that my hpv went away. What are the chances of my hpv coming back? My partner (who is also female) knows that I have had it so we take precaution but I dont want to infect her. How likely is it that hpv will come back after going away, or does it?

Old 11-02-2009, 09:18 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: Will my hpv come back?

There are so many ways to answer this.

Firs tof all, the only precaution someone can take to not get HPV is to have no physical (genital) skin to skin contact; otherwise there is a good chance of transmitting HPV.

There are over 30 (out of more than 100) strains of HPV that affect the genitals. Some of those are low risk and can cause genital warts and some of those are high risk which could lead to cellular changes that (worst case) could lead to cancer. It is possible to have low risk and high risk HPV at one time. It is also possible to have more than one strain of low risk and/or high risk HPV.

It is unlikely your doctor actually tested for which strain(s) of HPV you had/have. That means that it isn't likely that you (or your doctor) know what strain(s) of HPV you have/had. It is possible for the body to fight the negative effects of HPV and have it reoccur later on. It is also possible for that strain to no longer cause a problem, but for another strain to cause the same type of problems.

There is isn't much way of knowing, not with the level of technology doctors currently (and economically) have. .

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-19-2010, 03:24 PM   #3
(female)

sowrong HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnb515 View Post
I was diagnosed with hpv about 2 years ago. I was recently checked and had a colposcopy and found out that my hpv went away. What are the chances of my hpv coming back? My partner (who is also female) knows that I have had it so we take precaution but I dont want to infect her. How likely is it that hpv will come back after going away, or does it?
Well lets just say theres no cure for it! You will always have it! You can pass it along at anytime to anyone with skin to skin contact. I just learned all this for I had it over 10 years ago. I also know this to be true for I met my husband 8 or nine years later and still tested negative for it. However my husband came down with the warts 3 or 4 years after we were married. So yes you can pass it on and you will always have it even when you think you dont.. becareful

Old 10-25-2010, 09:31 PM   #4
(female)

reverb HB User

It does not go away in SOME people ( ~10% ). I don't know if this necessarily mean it will never go away for this minority of people, but it lasts much longer- ie : lasts in the body longer. This is when you have a persistent strain of HPV. In the MAJORITY of people it goes away. A clear pap doesn't necessarily mean HPV is clear, so I would recommend a HPV DNA ( Digene ) test. Good luck.

Last edited by reverb; 10-25-2010 at 09:32 PM.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:08 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

jacal5 HB Userjacal5 HB User

Pickle Eyes: I applaud you for posting time and time again that there is no protection against high risk HPV except abstaining from any physical contact with an infected person, and in the case of heterosexual contact, women have no choice but to abstain from any physical contact with men, even French kissing, unless they are vaccinated, to give them a better chance to avoid being at risk for HPV since men have no symptoms and there is no medical testing for males. The Gardasil vaccine for males is no solution for the dilemma females face in protecting themselves against high risk HPV since Merck states on their web-site that their vaccine only protects males against low risk HPV strains which cause genital warts, but doesn't protect against high risk HPV-related head and neck cancers.

I posted replies to a few questions posted by males regarding high risk HPV on a few dating web sites by explaining how males might develop oral cancer from high risk HPV infected females, and although my replies were rated highly from other posters, they were all deleted the next day by the web-site moderators! I suspect that the Powers That Be want to squash the devastating truth about HPV transmission and the fact that sex in America is no longer safe.

Last edited by jacal5; 10-26-2010 at 08:09 AM.

Closed Thread