It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2009, 08:07 PM   #1
(female)

nicole488 HB User
HPV For Life

I am 4 months pregnant and was just informed that my pap came back abnormal and positive for HPV cells. I am scheduled for a colposcopy but have no idea what to think or do. I was told not to worry about it, but I am devistated. I have read that once you have HPV there is no way of getting rid of it, there is only dormatting. Is this true?

With my pap coming back abnormal, does that mean that my HPV is starting to flare up. I don't have any external genital worts, or any internal that I/ or my partner can feel. I know that I'll need to get further testing to know what is going on. What about my husband? He shows no signs of symptoms but can he be infected? Does he need to be treated too? How bad can this affect him? Any facts about this will be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-20-2009, 06:19 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: HPV For Life

Hi Nicole, I understand the confusion of first being diagnosed with HPV. I assume you were diagnosed with high risk HPV and not low risk HPV. Low risk HPV can cause genital warts. High risk can lead to cellular changes. It is possible to have more than one strain of HPV and have high risk and low risk HPV.

Whatever strains of HPV you and your husband shared when you met, you have shared with each other. If you are both monogamous (and I am assuming you both are), then you don't need to worry about newer strains (or reinfection).

It is most likely that your doctor will want to keep an eye on the HPV and any atypical cells you might have. Most likely the abnormal cells are at a very early stage and there are many options you have regarding how they can be treated (especially without it affecting your future fertilty).

It is possible that your husband could have a future problem because of the HPV, but it isn't very likely. Men do not normally have negative effects from high risk HPV.

When I was first diagnosed, I spent a lot of time reading and rereading the information at the Center for Disease Control and similar sites, reading all I could about HPV. I suggest you look into doing something similar.

You mentioned something about the virus "dormatting." I don't know what that is. I suspect you might be referring to the virus going dormant. If that is the case, then yes, essentially the virus can go dormant. It is always there, but it doesn't always cause problems. It is possible for the virus to cause problems in the future, but not necessarily.

I hope that helps a bit.

Last edited by Pickle Eyes; 11-20-2009 at 06:20 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread