It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2009, 10:29 PM   #1
(female)

WhyIsThisMyLife HB User
HPV Result on My Latest Pap - I'm Monogamous & Married

I am 40 and never before tested positive for any STD. I was married in 2008 and used condoms with my husband until we were married. He admitted to me in 2004 he had genital warts which he had treated and were gone. Before we married, I noticed what looked like skin tags on his inner thigh. I wore condoms though and then looked at pics of skin tags and genital warts and believed them to be skin tags. I didn't have insurance so the last pap I had was right before we were married. Now, during my last a pap I tested positive for HPV. I told him and he swears he did not cheat and I guess I believe him. Is it possible even though he had the warts burned off he is still a carrier or did he have to have cheated on me? Are we passing it back and forth? The nurse told me that it is possible it will clear in a year or two, but if he is still infected wouldn't I just get reinfected? Also, what about oral sex. Can or would I catch something that way? Is it possible I will develop warts sometime in the future? I just don't understand this virus.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-22-2009, 09:57 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: HPV Result on My Latest Pap - I'm Monogamous & Married

HPV (low risk or high risk) is not a good test of fidelity. The virus is very easily transmitted. All it takes is genital skin to genital skin contact; many forms of foreplay can transmit the virus. Additionally, the virus can not cause problems for months, years, or even decades - then it shows up on a test.

Once someone has HPV, their body maintains a history of the virus. Some researchers say the virus can reactivate. Other researchers are not so sure. It is entirely possible, though, to have one strain of HPV (low risk or high risk) the body fight the virus, then have another strain that exhibits the exact same symptoms.

The virus cannot be passed back and forth between 2 monogamous partners. Any strains of HPV which either brought to the relationship are swapped.

To learn more about HPV you might go to the Center for Disease Control and read what they have. I found it very informative when I was first diagnosed with high risk HPV.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread