It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2009, 12:25 PM   #1
(female)

tigerlilyx61 HB User
daughter had abnormal pap

Could someone please answer a question for me? My daughter recently had an abnormal pap. The doctor told her to come back in 3 months and they would do a repeat pap. That was Thursday. The results won't be back for a week. If it comes back that she has another abnormal pap can I assume that she was exposed to HPV? She has only had 2 partners. Her first boyfriend and her were both virgins or that's what he told her. I know she was. The second guy, whom she is still with, had one girlfriend before my daughter and they were both virgins according to him. She didn't become sexually active until she was 18. She doesn't smoke. Is someone not telling the truth? According to what I have read the only way to get HPV is by having vaginal or anal sex with someone who has it.

Old 11-22-2009, 01:22 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: daughter had abnormal pap

No, you cannot assume that. An abnormal pap does not always mean HPV. It can mean many other things. Did she have sex within the 24 hours before the pap? Did she take a bubble bath? These things can give an abnormal pap - along with many other totally non-serious things and many serious things. Don't jump to conclusions.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-22-2009, 02:47 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

What type of "bad pap" did she have? What type of atypical cells? What level? There are many things that can cause a pap to come back irregular. However, if the paps keep coming back as abnormal, then it is fairly safe to assume (and many doctors do - and don't test for) HPV.

If your daughter hasn't asked for a copy of her pathology report, then that is something she might want to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlilyx61 View Post
According to what I have read the only way to get HPV is by having vaginal or anal sex with someone who has it.
HPV can be transmitted by any skin to skin contact between the vulva, vagina, cervix, penis, anus/rectum, mouth/throat. One does not have to have anal sex to have negative effects from HPV in the anus/rectum.

HPV is transmitted by skin to skin contact, not body fluids.

Old 11-22-2009, 03:31 PM   #4
(female)

tigerlilyx61 HB User

Thank you for your replies. I was going by what is actually posted on this board from the CDC but thank you for correcting me.

My daughter doesn't know what type she has. She makes me angry. She acts like it is no big deal. I will suggest that she ask for a copy of the patho report though. She is a nurse...you would think she would know better.

Old 11-22-2009, 06:10 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Am I understanding correctly - you've read here where the CDC says the only cause of an abnormal pap is HPV? Surely I'm not reading that statement correctly. I've had 2 or 3 abnormal paps...I think all because I'd had sex within the past 24 hours. The retests were all clear. I'm only 2 months from 64 so you'd think if something serious was going on it would have shown up by now!

Old 11-23-2009, 02:49 AM   #6
(female)

tigerlilyx61 HB User

What I read from the CDC was how you contract HPV....from either vaginal or anal intercourse.

Old 11-23-2009, 06:14 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

I just checked the CDC's website. It says "Genital HPV is passed on through genital contact, most often during vaginal and anal sex." I know you know this, but "most often" is not the same thing as "always."

The CDC's website also says that HPV can infect the penis, vulva, anus, vagina, cervix, and rectum.

Research within the past several years indicate that HPV is connected with some cancers of the head and neck (including the "oral cavity and oropharynx" per the CDC).

I hope that helps clarify.

Old 11-30-2009, 05:28 PM   #8
(female)

tigerlilyx61 HB User

Well, my daughter got the results of her repeat pap today and it was abnormal again. She is being referred to a GYN. How long is too long to wait to get in considering what's going on? She is going to pick up a copy of her patho report tomorrow. Hopefully that will be able to tell me more about what is going on.

Old 11-30-2009, 05:49 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

I would think anything less than within the next six months is appropriate. Without knowing what type of abnormality, I think that is a reasonable time period. I suspect the gyno will be doing a colposcopy and possibly a biopsy. The pathology report should indicate what the pathologist recommends for the next step.

Old 12-02-2009, 11:12 AM   #10
(female)

tigerlilyx61 HB User

Pathology report identifies LGSIL. She was able to get an appointment on the 14th of this months. What is most likely for treatment or will there even be treatment? Some of the things I am reading says it can go away on it's on. Does it just depend on the doctor?

Old 12-02-2009, 07:30 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

A woman who is under 30 who has been diagnosed with LGSIL is typically told to return after 6 months for a retest. Some women under 30 who are diagnosed with even CIN I (mild dysplasia) and even some with CIN II (moderate dysplasia) are able to clear the virus. Women under 30 are not likely to clear CIN III (severe dysplasia) without some sort of medical intervention (like cryo or a LEEP, etc).

The physcian of a woman who is over 30 is more likely to move more rapidly in going for further treatment and cutting down the wait time between procedures. Women over 30 are much less likely to be able to fight the virus.

When I say "fight the virus," I mean the body fights the virus (that *strain* of that virus) so it doesn't cause further problems. The virus (that strain of that virus) will remain in the woman's body forever. There is some disagreement in the research community as to whether the strain of the virus can reactivate later in life (like under a time of stress) or if it will remain inactive.

There are standards in the medical community regarding treatment plans for various diagnoses, like cervical dysplasia, but there are variances within the standard. Not ever doctor follows the exact same treatment plan. They often base their decisions on the patient, the patient's history, the doctor's training, the available technology.

Old 12-21-2009, 04:34 PM   #12
(female)

tigerlilyx61 HB User

I just wanted to give you all an update on my daughter's abnormal pap. The biopsy results are in and the GYN says they will watch it for now and do a repeat pap in 6 months. I think this is good news. I hope. Thank you all for your comments and advice.

Old 12-21-2009, 07:36 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks for updating us. I hope her other paps come back normal!

Closed Thread