It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2009, 10:55 PM   #1
(male)

dmichael HB User
Genital warts please read and respond

Hey I'm 25 years old and I contracted what looked like warts when I was 18. I recieved them through my first partner and didnt find out that I had anything until 6 months later. I was scared and didnt go to the doctor and they eventually went away in a few months. I'm 25 now and have stayed out of relationships and until now at 25 I have found someone who I really like. I knew that I would be having sex with her, so I went to the doctor first told him about my situation and that I have not seen anything since I was a teenager and he said that I was not at risk to anyone at this point. He checked me out said I was fine and I ask him if was necessary that I told her and he said I didnt need to. I didnt want to because of the lack of education on the subject and it would freak her out, so I followed his advice and had sex with her thinking I am fine. I come on this board and all of you are talking about I'm at risk for life, but *****, my doctor and CDC says that the virus clears up on its own after a certain time... it may stat dormant, but i'm not at risk...according to my doctor. Its not that much different than chicken pox, so do i need to tell everyone i had chicken pox. I cant tell her now I had sex with her already and more than once. She is by my doctors stand point not at risk. I dont know what to do, i ask friends and they even said you are fine at this point. I just wanted see what you guys think about this because if yall think I should tell her then I might, but she will hate me for waiting after the fact, but I chose this becuase of the stigma behind HPV. Please comment and tell me what you think

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2009, 08:58 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

LilyL21 HB UserLilyL21 HB UserLilyL21 HB User
Re: Genital warts please read and respond

I believe your chance of passing HPV on after not having a wart for 7 years is very small . . . but should you tell her? Read the thread titled "a huge mistake....but did he overreact?" Sure, it's probaly not necessary to tell her from a medical standpoint, but she will probably get ****** if she has sex with you and finds out later that you didn't tell her. It's true that that's mostly because of a lack of education about HPV, but I suspect women find themselves in this situation much more than men.

Telling her now is tough if you've already had sex. But there is a very simple solution if you come accross this situation again. Ask your partners whether they has received Gardasil! Tell her the reason why you are asking is because you had genital warts 7 years ago and there is a small possibility you can still pass it on.

Gardasil protects against 2 strains of HPV that cause 90% of genital warts (and another 2 that cause 70% of cervical cancer). If she hasn't, tell her to get it. This will make the possibilty of her developing genital warts very low even if you can pass it to her. And make sure she receives Gardasil, not Cervarix. Cervarix only protects agains the cancer strains (which is great, but not for your situation).

Good luck!

Last edited by LilyL21; 11-25-2009 at 09:02 AM.

Old 11-25-2009, 05:45 PM   #3
(male)

dmichael HB User

If I tell her my relationship is over becuase I waited to tell her. We already live 3 hours away from each other and this relationship is new. I like her a lot and if the world knew more about hpv then i probably would be more likely to tell her. I asked my doctor if i was at risk even without condoms and he said no. He didnt say low risk... he said no risk. All viruses that we have in our body are what your calling a low risk. All viruses that you catch stay with you forever, but does that mean i'm going to pass the flu to her seven years later? No i'm not. Why freak her out about this when its not necessary. I posted this message on another health board that has a doctor that responds and a situation just like mine occured and he said that the kid was not at risk after the warts are gone and if you have not seen them for five years there gone. Someone responded to my post on the other site and they said i was not at risk as well, so who do i believe? I dont know when i read messages from this forum i feel like a bad person and i have done something wrong, but i just followed advice.Yall say this and they say that, so I am stuck here feeling confused. If I did tell her i wouldnt know where to go for information because its so unorganized. i'll be driving down to see her this weekend. its her birthday and i'm staying at her house with her family. I need to make a decision about this and still cant. i just know if i did tell her and after the fact it will be over she wont trust me and back in the dumps for me, even though i didnt put her at risk according to my doctor. What to do?

Old 11-25-2009, 05:55 PM   #4
(male)

dmichael HB User

I'm pretty sure she has taken the vaccine becuase she gets paps every year.

Old 11-26-2009, 04:52 PM   #5
(female)

sarberrie HB Usersarberrie HB Usersarberrie HB Usersarberrie HB User

In all honesty, you probably should have just told her prior to having sex. I basically went through the same situation (read the I made a mistake post) but I have high risk HPV not the wart causing kind. I too was told by my doctor that it was not necessary to tell b/c the high risk HPV does not really do anything to men who pick up the virus Not disclosing the info caused me to lose my relationship I was in. I don't think it's too late for you to do something. I would come clean with her, explaining that you had the virus 7yrs ago and that your MD told you that you are of no risk and haven't had a wart in 7yrs as well. She will probably ****** that you waited until after having sex to tell her, but I fully believe that women are more understanding and more educated about HPV than men. Is she 25 as well? Older? Younger? If she is your age or even a few years older, and has been sexually active in the past, she might have already dealt with HPV before, or has friends who have had it and knows about the virus. At any rate, I would tell her sooner than later, just in case by some small chance she develops warts. And like people posted to me on my did I make a mistake post......if she breaks up with you because of the issue, whether it's because you had warts, or because you didn't tell her sooner, than she isn't the right girl for you to be with. I hope your situation works out better than mine did............

Old 11-26-2009, 04:54 PM   #6
(female)

sarberrie HB Usersarberrie HB Usersarberrie HB Usersarberrie HB User

< edited >, if she has questions, she can always call her ob/gyn.

Last edited by hb-mod; 11-27-2009 at 06:22 AM. Reason: Please don't post disallowed websites as per Posting Policy. Thanks.

Old 11-26-2009, 07:23 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

LilyL21 HB UserLilyL21 HB UserLilyL21 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmichael View Post
I asked my doctor if i was at risk even without condoms and he said no. He didnt say low risk... he said no risk.
It's not no risk. There is a small risk. But, the risk is probably similar to the risk of someone who's never been diagnosed with HPV ever. Since most people will get HPV and are never diagnosed, everyone has a small risk of spreading it.

If you do decide to tell her, you could just explain to her that you didn't tell her before because your doctor said there was no risk. And then you could explain to her how common it is, and that you now know there is a small risk, but again, there is a risk with anyone who's ever had sex before. It's quite possible she even gave you HPV. It's probably more likely that she gave it to you than you gave it to her since you were abstinent for 7 years.

I don't know. Do what you think it right.

Old 11-27-2009, 01:18 PM   #8
(female)

bhindblueeyes HB User

My husband was unaware that he had HPV. Finding out I was given HPV was NOT the beginning to a marriage I had anticipated. IF he HAD known, I would have wanted to have been informed. Informing me would have allowed me a CHOICE. I wasn't given a choice, and now I have this. It is in my opinion that you should put yourself in her shoes for a moment. Do NOT let your doctor, your friends, or medical information decide how you should proceed, in regards to your conscience. She may be upset, but at this point, she may not be as upset about the HPV as she is that you withheld this information from her. If SHE had an STD/STI that she knew about and did not tell you and you happened to contract it, how would you feel knowing she intentionally didn't tell you about it? It is important to be open and honest in relationships no matter what the topic . . . Ultimately, whether or not you decide to tell her is up to you, but ask yourself, SHOULD she happen to contract HPV, can you live with the guilt that you neglected to inform her of the risk she was taking by engaging in sexual contact with you? You seem quite concerned about YOU . . . how YOU will be hurt if she leaves the relationship. You should take yourself out of the equation and do what is best for HER, even if that does hurt you.

Old 01-19-2010, 04:00 PM   #9
(female)

sowrong HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmichael View Post
Hey I'm 25 years old and I contracted what looked like warts when I was 18. I recieved them through my first partner and didnt find out that I had anything until 6 months later. I was scared and didnt go to the doctor and they eventually went away in a few months. I'm 25 now and have stayed out of relationships and until now at 25 I have found someone who I really like. I knew that I would be having sex with her, so I went to the doctor first told him about my situation and that I have not seen anything since I was a teenager and he said that I was not at risk to anyone at this point. He checked me out said I was fine and I ask him if was necessary that I told her and he said I didnt need to. I didnt want to because of the lack of education on the subject and it would freak her out, so I followed his advice and had sex with her thinking I am fine. I come on this board and all of you are talking about I'm at risk for life, but *****, my doctor and CDC says that the virus clears up on its own after a certain time... it may stat dormant, but i'm not at risk...according to my doctor. Its not that much different than chicken pox, so do i need to tell everyone i had chicken pox. I cant tell her now I had sex with her already and more than once. She is by my doctors stand point not at risk. I dont know what to do, i ask friends and they even said you are fine at this point. I just wanted see what you guys think about this because if yall think I should tell her then I might, but she will hate me for waiting after the fact, but I chose this becuase of the stigma behind HPV. Please comment and tell me what you think
Well yes you can pass it on as i did to my husband years later. I have been cleared of the virus for over 10 years yet 4 years after i married my husband he came down with warts. So will you always have it and pass it on. I would say yes...

Closed Thread