It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2009, 03:43 PM   #1
(female)

Margie88 HB User
Please help.. been thinking about this for days. don't want to hurt him

My ex-boyfriend gave me high-risk and potentially low-risk hpv. I had an anal bump which my gyno never concluded to be a definite wart. It went away and that was the only one I had.

I have an incredible, sweet, and caring new boyfriend. I told him about my high risk hpv and he was completely fine with it. I'm on birth control and we have unprotected sex.

Lately I have felt really worried about him getting warts. Is there a big chance that he will have an outbreak because of the one potential wart I had 2 years ago? Can high-risk hpv cause him to have warts? I'm really nervous and I don't want to hurt him.. I would also be really embarassed.

Please help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-03-2009, 06:43 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: Please help.. been thinking about this for days. don't want to hurt him

Low risk HPV can lead to genital warts
High risk HPV can cause cellular changes which could possibly lead to cancer
High risk HPV does not cause warts.

What makes you think the bump was a genital wart? Was it ever treated?

Since you and your current BF have been having unprotected sex, then you have each swapped strains of HPV. If he has had any partners before you, then if he presents with a wart it might be from his previous partner or you (assuming you had previously been exposed to a strain of HPV which causes genital warts).

I think it is important to tell ones sexual partner about all known STDs, and HPV (low and high risk) is considered an STD. Of course, more than 80% of women over 50 have had exposure to at least one (of more than 30) strain of HPV at some point in her life. It is the most common (and rarely known) STD.

I hope that answers your questions.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-03-2009, 08:16 PM   #3
(female)

Margie88 HB User
Re: Please help.. been thinking about this for days. don't want to hurt him

That definitely helped thank you..

I had him go get tested when we first began dating. He didn't have the hpv test done but my gyn told me that if I have the Gardasil vaccine after being diagnosed with hpv it will prevent me from getting most other strains.

The bump was never sent for testing to determine whether it was definitely a wart but it was treated with Aldara. I haven't had anything like that since the one that I had. It was in the anal area. I'm really worried that because I have been exposed to it, he may get a wart. I guess my question is are the chances high that he would have an outbreak because I have previously been exposed?, given the fact that it was years ago and was treated? I know that it can definitely happen I just don't know how likely.

Closed Thread