It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2009, 07:15 AM   #1
(female)

pinkrobot HB User
another aldara question

I've been using Aldara for just over a month now (not for genital warts, but for vulvar dysplasia, which is usually associated with HPV). The first few weeks of using it, I had redness and a LOT of burning/blistering...but I figured out I was using too much cream at once so I lessened the amount I was using. After that, my side effects weren't bad at all--hardly noticable, in fact.

About a week ago, though, I started itching INTENSELY about 5 minutes after applying the cream. This was 3 weeks into my treatment, and up until that point itching hadn't been one of the side effects I was experiencing at all.

The past 4 times I've applied it though, the itching is so bad it literally keeps me awake half the night. I don't understand, because for the first 9 or 10 applications I didn't have this problem. So I have two questions:

Is the itching a sign the Aldara is really starting to work (as I've had no noticable results so far)? And, is there anything I can do to help myself sleep better on the nights I apply the cream? I already take an OTC sleep aid, and even though those usually knock me out pretty well I'm still wide awake at night due to the itching.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Old 05-18-2010, 07:56 AM   #2
(female)

sognoazzuro HB User
Re: another aldara question

For me initially there was no itching and then as the warts started to disappear there was burning and itching. Shortly thereafter, the warts went away. Not sure why it burns and itches, but that means its working. You might just have to put up with it. I took a cold compress and put it between my legs. The coldness seemed to mask the burning and itching and gave me great relief. a bag of ice wrapped in a towel could do the same thing.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-21-2010, 06:01 AM   #3
(female)

sognoazzuro HB User

I was told to apply it every other day after a shower at night until the warts went away.

Old 05-22-2010, 08:03 AM   #4
(female)

EastCoastS HB User

I've been using Aldara for the same problem. vulvar dysplasia, not warts. I can only tolerate this stuff every 3-4 nights. and even then there is intermittant bleeding where the skin is just wrecked from this stuff. that said, I think the itching and soreness means its working on that skin. I tried every 2 nights but I couldn't do it. every 3 nights is very tolerable for me. you should try that. My surgeon said the problem with this cream, is that its so hard to tolerate, and is so painful, most people give up on it completely. and it takes 4 months to really be effective. He said every 3 nights for 4 months is absolutely worth it, and better than trying for every 2 nights but having to quit!

Old 05-22-2010, 08:18 PM   #5
(female)

yahteez HB User

I'm not sure if its b/c it's working or not, but if you begin to get sore... STOP USING THE CREAM FOR A FEW DAYS. This is serious stuff, and DO NOT SCRATCH NO MATTER WHAT. I have blisters and everything, I can't even walk, i had an alergic reaction or whatever. It's happened to a lot of people. be careful..... if the itching is really bad try vasoline on the area when the bumps aren't at and it should help you. You don't want the pain im in. I hope this helps you.

Closed Thread