It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2010, 10:53 AM   #1
(female)

Kamyel HB User
Concerned

Hello,

I recently had a pap smear done at the local health department. This morning they called and told me that it detected an infection of some sort and I need to come in to talk to the nurse practitioner. I didn't think anything about it at first. I assumed yeast infection and they just wanted to give me medicine for it. That happened one time a while back and all was good. But then I called back to inquire and asked if they meant infection, as in a sexually transmitted infection. The refused to say over the phone and just told me I need to come in. I asked if whatever it was, was it something that could be cleared up. They said yes.

So at the moment I'm playing the waiting game. I know something is going on, but I don't know what. I've been doing some online research and HPV infection is the only type of STD that I can find so far that can be discovered through a pap smear. Is this true? If it is something like this, she said it is something that can be cleared up. I have read some of the posts on here so far. Granted if I have this I couldn't say just yet what kind I have, but for those of you who have been diagnosed, how has treatment been for you? How easy is it to clear up? That sort of thing.

I've already talked to my boyfriend about it. He said he will get checked out. However I've seen some of you post saying that sometimes it can be impossible to test for in men. With that being the case, can he still be treated for it if it turns out my test came back positive?

I know I have more questions really, but knowing so little about what is going on with me, I'm not entirely sure what to ask. I found this board during my search and thought it might be a good place to start. Thank you for any responses.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2010, 04:36 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

babsie HB User
Re: Concerned

First off, HPV is can not be tested for in men of women. It does not show up in blood. Abnormal paps usually mean some sort of HPV strand. I found out I had HPV(genital warts) because I had an OB. I just recently had an abnormal pap also. I'm going in for a biopsy to see if it's cancerous. HPV is not curable but with med's it can be controlled...

Old 01-06-2010, 07:26 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: Concerned

Kamyel, I wish I could help you, but without knowing more it is taking a shot in the dark. I am by no means an expert, but I thought some STDs could be detected during/from a pap. Which, I don't know.

Looking back, it looks like they said you have a "sexually transmitted disease of some sort." That doesn't necessarily means it was detected during the pap.

When is your appointment?

Closed Thread