It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2010, 11:39 AM   #1
(female)

beckyz42 HB User
positive for hpv

2 time breast cancer survivor just had pap test showed normal but positive for hpv...hystorectomy 1986 only thing left is a small piece of cervix....should this be removed now?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2010, 07:50 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: positive for hpv

Hi Becky, it sounds like you've been through a lot. Congrats on surviving breast cancer twice!

When it comes to being HPV positive, it means you have an active HPV infection. I assume your next step is either watch and retest (especially if you are under 30) or to send you for a colposcopy. If you are over 30, especially if you are over 40, then I suggest you press your doctor to go ahead and proceed with the colpo. If you are over 30, have positive high risk HPV, and have a colpo, then I recommend you press your doctor to also do an ECC while he/she is doing the colpo. That will scrape the cervical canal to sample those cells.

If the HPV is causing dysplasia, it could be in the cervix (outer cervix or cervical canal), vagina, vulva, possibly in the uterus (what tissue you have left), or a few other sites. Those are the most common locations, though.

I hope that helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2010, 07:26 PM   #3
(female)

beckyz42 HB User

thanks for your reply....I am 49 and going to call the doctor's office tomorrow because they did not offer me anything but a follow up pap test in 6 months!....I need more though....I want to know what kind I have and what we are going to do about it....I have never heard of this before and certainly don't plan on just sitting around for 6 months and waiting....geez....I am so thankful for finding this site and for people like yourself who take the time to inform others....I am still reading up on this and hope to soak up as much knowledge as I can....take care now....

Old 01-17-2010, 08:36 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Becky, if you have been in a long term monogamous relationship (or celebate), then I'd push for further testing sooner than later.

When I was diagnosed with high risk HPV I was in a 15 year monogamous (both of us) relationship and had never had a bad pap in the 25 years I've been having paps. Because I pushed for it, my doctor went ahead and referred me to an ob/gyn (instead of waiting 3 months to retest). The ob/gyn did a colpo. My outer cervix was fine (no biopsy) so she decided to do an ECC (endocervical curettage) which found precancerous cells (adenocarcinoma in situ and atypical glandular epithelial lesions).

I thank God that my GP asked me if I wanted the HPV/dna test and that the ob/gyn did the ECC.

So, I strongly encourage you to push for the colposcopy, especially if you are in a long term monogamous relationship. Let me know what the doctor's office says!

Old 01-19-2010, 12:36 PM   #5
(female)

beckyz42 HB User

I made a doctor's appt with the gyno for Thursday and I also called my oncologist for his thoughts as well...the only thing I found out was that it was high risk hpv...so waiting is not an option for me with my history of cancer....will let you know how the doctor visit goes....

Old 01-19-2010, 07:01 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

I would think with the history of cancer they would be doing everything proactively. Yes, please let me know how the visit goes!

Old 01-21-2010, 11:23 AM   #7
(female)

beckyz42 HB User

well the doctor told me all about the wait and see thing but of course I said no way....so he will proceed to see if the insurance will approve me for the coloposcy and the eeg....he said he didn't know what number my hpv was just that it was high risk and active....he said unless the cells have changed he might not even see anything when he looks...so i said that is why i am also asking for the eeg thing....i told him just like they said on designing women....sure its fine for you to wait but I am the one who has to do the dying so lets not!....he said most times they believe your immune system will take care of the virus...but with my cancer history he had no problem going ahead with the testing and we would go from there....so i guess now we wait until we see what the insurance says....i will keep you posted...

Old 01-21-2010, 07:31 PM   #8
(female)

beckyz42 HB User
Thumbs up Re: positive for hpv

doctor's office called me and said insurance approved the procedure so I am scheduled for 2-1....

Old 01-21-2010, 08:09 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

I am so glad that you have been approved! yay!

Your doctor is partially right. For most women under the age of 30, the body can take care of the virus. This is not commonly the case with women over 30 who have an active HPV infection.

I'm so glad you are going to be pushing for the ECC (endocervical curettage). Please let us know how things turn out!

Closed Thread