It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2010, 03:44 PM   #1
(female)

MellyMommy HB User
It's time for surgery now...

I am wondering if anyone has had the laser surgery for Vulva Displaysia? If so, what was it like and how long did it take you to recover in terms of getting back on your feet and going to work and taking care of your kids?

A little background, I am 37, a mom with a 6 year old and a 4 1 1/2 year old. When I was PG with my youngest the pressure of her "pushed" something out of me that my OB/GYN biopsied me on after she was born in Aug 2005 and it came back as Level I Vulva Displaysia. 6 months later she biopsied me again and there were 2 more spots that came back as level 2. I did the Aldera cream and seemed to be in "remission". This all happened between 2005-2006. In 2007 & 2008 I had my regular exams and colposcopies as they are now a normal part of my annual lady exam.

I was overdue in my annual exam b/c I couldn't get an appointment for my 2009 exam and had one last week. Sure enough there was a tiny little spot she found and lo and behold it is coming back as "high grade". I am now being told that I have to have a surgical incision.

I actually haven't had a chance to fully speak with my doctor, only her assistant who told me that she would talk to me more about my options. I'll give an update tomorrow.

In addition to all of this I was diagnosed with Graves Disease (a thyroid thing) when I was about 10 months post partum. After being on meds for a year, I was deemed in remission and went off meds. Since I just had my exam last week I need to go get my bloodwork done to check my thyroid.

I am a relatively healthy 37 year old although I am overweight.

So I am curious to know what others experience with this is like and does any of this lead into official cancer?

Melissa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2010, 06:13 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: It's time for surgery now...

Hi Melissa, I don't know a lot about vulvar dysplasia, but I think there are some women here who have/had it. You might also check the Cancer: Cervical and Ovarian board (here at HB) and post a similar question.

When it comes to speaking with your doctor, I highly recommend you have a written list of questions ready so that you get your questions answered (and have a place to write your answers). I always go with my list to doctor's appointments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MellyMommy View Post
does any of this lead into official cancer?
Melissa
Vulvar dysplasia can lead to cancer, but it doesn't always (just like cervical dysplasia doesn't always cause cervical cancer). The key is to continue having close follow up appointments with a thorough doctor. If the dysplasia is always removed, then I would think the likelihood of it turning to cancer is significantly less.

How often are your follow up appointments and/or colpos? I would think with moderate to severe dysplasia that you would have a follow up ever 6 months, if not every 3 to 4 months; that's what generally happens with cervical dysplasia.

Closed Thread