It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2010, 03:37 AM   #1
(female)

Graves54 HB User
My 17 year old daughter just diagnosed with HPV

Her pap smear showed HPV. We have a family doc appointment tommorrow together. Do you think he will refer her to a gynocologist?

Old 01-27-2010, 05:02 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: My 17 year old daughter just diagnosed with HPV

I would certainly hope so! If not, go to one anyway.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2010, 06:01 AM   #3
(female)

Graves54 HB User

Okay thank you.

Old 01-27-2010, 05:25 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

Is this her first pap? Has she had the vaccine?

The doctor might or might not refer her to a gyno. It depends on what type of HPV: low risk or high risk. It also depends on the severity of the pap results. If she is just positive for HPV, they may do a watch and recheck every 3, 4, or 6 months.

She doesn't necessarily need to go to a gyn (if it is a good pap and a positive high risk HPV results), unless you just want to go for peace of mind.

I hope that helps.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:13 AM   #5
(female)

Graves54 HB User

No dangit, she didn't get the shots and now I could kick myself. We have an appointment today at 3 and will find out.

The nurse said something about cells and HPV, so we shall see. Crossing my fingers. thank you will let ya know.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:10 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

How did the appointment go?

Old 01-29-2010, 03:49 AM   #7
(female)

Graves54 HB User

Okay yesterday went to the physician. He said that 2 of them are high risk, and there are squamous cells that have to be watched. Now I am looking for an OBGYN hopefully to get in soon. My daughter is frantic because she has a new boyfriend and is so afraid to tell him. If he loves her he should look over it.

She got a pap because she wanted birth control pills, but doc couldn't do that. I did read that birth control pills can cause HPV.

He said these cells may need to be removed by freezing them.

She is not sure where she got it. Her exboyfriend had it but she said they used condoms everytime. I told her to just tell her new boyfriend that she does not know how she got it. LOL

Old 01-29-2010, 06:18 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Birth control pills do not cause HPV. Skin to skin contact with someone who has HPV is how someone gets HPV. I don't understand why the doctor won't put her on birth control pills. I'm sure there is a reason, but I can't think of any reason related to HPV.

How does she know that her exboyfriend had HPV? did he have warts? Condoms do not offer complete protection against HPV. Since HPV is transmitted by skin to skin contact and condoms don't cover all skin contact during intercourse that means HPV can be transmitted even with the most diligent condom use.

Old 01-30-2010, 04:27 AM   #9
(female)

Graves54 HB User

I don't know why he didn't put her on BC. He is a little weird anyway. Yes he had warts she said. Thank you.

Old 01-31-2010, 04:10 PM   #10
(female)

sarberrie HB Usersarberrie HB Usersarberrie HB Usersarberrie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickle Eyes View Post
I don't understand why the doctor won't put her on birth control pills. I'm sure there is a reason, but I can't think of any reason related to HPV.

The only thing I can think of is that if someone is on birth control, they might then not use condoms all the time and will increase their risk of getting a strain of HPV. If the ob/gyn you find for your doctor does put her on BC pills be sure that your daughter is also counseled that condom use should still continue, because the pill does not protect against STD's.

Closed Thread