It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2010, 05:00 PM   #1
(female)

ariana29 HB User
My boyfriend has HPV

My boyfriend whom I love dearly has HPV. We havent been intimate due to this and I am hesitant. I have heard all sorts of different things about this but really need someone to clarify a few questions that concern me.

First-I was told that I couldnt get it from him if he wasn't having a breakout. Is this true?

Second-Is wearing a condom completley safe and does it entirely prevent spreading it to your partner?

Third-Why in the world is there an age limit on the HPV Vaccination when they haven't too long come out with it?

Personally I feel like that's hardly fair for the one's who want to be safe and are willing to get tested and vaccinated for the virus. It's not right that there be an age limit on something like that when it effects even older adults. Is there anywhere that I can get the vaccination at age 29?

Any answers to these questions would be greatly appreciated!

Old 02-09-2010, 06:56 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

LilyL21 HB UserLilyL21 HB UserLilyL21 HB User
Re: My boyfriend has HPV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariana29 View Post
First-I was told that I couldnt get it from him if he wasn't having a breakout. Is this true?

Second-Is wearing a condom completley safe and does it entirely prevent spreading it to your partner?

Third-Why in the world is there an age limit on the HPV Vaccination when they haven't too long come out with it?
First- There is no way to tell whether he's contagious. He's probably less contagious if there is no outbreak, but there is no way to be sure he won't pass it to you. Most people fight off the virus within 2 years and never have another outbreak, but it's possible he will be contagious forever.

Second- Nope, condoms aren't all that great protection against HPV.

Third- There is an age limit to the vaccine because if you are over 26, it's very likely you already have HPV. Unless you are completely sexually inexperienced, you probably have had HPV in some form. If you vaccinate women over age 26, the vaccine prevents just about zero cancers so there's not a big point in getting it. That being said, many doctors will give you the vaccine no matter how old you are. Just tell you gyno your situation and that you want it. It might not be covered by your insurance because giving it to you at over 26 is considered "off label" use. And make sure you request Gardasil ands not Cervarix. Gardasil protects against the genital warts strains and Cervarix does not. some people think Cervarix is the better vaccine because it produces more antibodies, but if you want the protection againt the strains that cause genital warts, you want Gardasil.

Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2010, 08:49 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyL21 View Post
If you vaccinate women over age 26, the vaccine prevents just about zero cancers so there's not a big point in getting it. That being said, many doctors will give you the vaccine no matter how old you are. ... if you want the protection againt the strains that cause genital warts, you want Gardasil.
BOTH vaccines protect agains the 2 strains that cause 75% of cervical cancers provided the person hasn't already been exposed to either of those two strains already.

The age limit was set because once the person is over 26, the chance of them already having been exposed increases, but it is NOT a certainty so the vaccine could very well be perfectly effective. It is purely a cost/benefit decision that the medical community and insurers made to reach the most people with the best chance of it working.

Saying there is 'no point' is factually incorrect because if a woman has never been exposed she will most certainly benefit from the vaccine, and saying that Gardasil does not protect against the 2 cancer causing strains is also incorrect, it definitely does.

If you want to get the vaccine, call around. There are clinics/doctors who will still give it to you. Just because you are over the age recommended doesn't mean you automatically won't benefit. If you've never had an abnormal pap or warts, I'd strongly recommend you get the Gardasil one.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:24 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

LilyL21 HB UserLilyL21 HB UserLilyL21 HB User

Thisby- I totally agree with you about there being a point in individuals being vaccinated. The vaccines will protect against the 2 worst cancer-causing HPV strains if a woman has not been exposed to those. I did not mean to imply otherwise.

I just meant that there's no statistically significant reduction in rates of cervical cancer if you vaccinate women over 26. And actually, there are only very few cancers prevented if you vaccinate women over about age 22! So that's why there is an age limit: it's not cost effective. However, I really don't consider what's cost effective in determining my health care! I got Gardasil when I was 26, and I'm sure I would have still gotten it if I was 27. (Heck, I think I want to also get Cervarix now that it is approved ... )

Last edited by LilyL21; 02-10-2010 at 09:29 AM.

Closed Thread