It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2010, 09:10 AM   #1
(female)

Cherbear1104 HB User
Colposcopy aftercare very confused and need help please

I recently had an abnormal pap that tested positive for HPV, I just had my colposcopy two days ago and the doctor took a biopsy. I've been reading on the internet about all of these aftercare instructions but my doctor did not tell me any of them except that it was normal to have a black discharge which the only discharge I have had has either been black and grainy or brown and stringyand I havent heard or read anything about brown stringy discharge. Two days before the procedure I had to go the emergency room and was diagnosed with vaginitis and put on an antibiotic and given some intervaginal cream, my doctor did say I could use the cream if I was having any symptoms. Other than those two things she did not give me any additional instrucions such as no sex(not that i feel up to it right now anyways) or anything like that. What should I do or not do?

Old 03-06-2010, 10:06 PM   #2
(female)

broke123 HB User
Re: Colposcopy aftercare very confused and need help please

I had 2 of those done with 2 different doctors. one said no sex for 2 weeks, and the second one said no sex for 6 weeks. you also cant be in water like bath or ocean or pool, 2-6 weeks (again depends on who u ask). i would stay clear of sex for 2 weeks at least. as far as the brown discharge - its blood from the procedure, its normal. vaginitis is a whole other issue, with that go by what the ER docs told you. Plus u can always call your doctors office and just ask what you should do if you are not sure.

good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2010, 05:57 PM   #3
(female)

sulliCA80 HB User
Smile Re: Colposcopy aftercare very confused and need help please

I had a colposcopy done in February with a biopsy. I had the brown discharge for about 5-7 days afterward which is completely normal. My OB/GYN said to not have sex for 5 days so my cervix could heal. I never had vaginitis so I'm unaware as to the follow up or procedures following it. I know it's easier said than done but try not to worry too much. Abnormal paps and HPV are very common. I only told 5 different women (family and close friends) about my abnormal pap, colposcopy, & biopsy, and come to find out 3 of them had gone through the same thing. I hope this helps...Keep your head up and ask questions. I actually set up an appt with a nurse just so I could ask all the questions that were going through my head and I felt a lot better afterward.

Old 03-13-2010, 05:35 AM   #4
(female)

michigan08 HB User
Re: Colposcopy aftercare very confused and need help please

You received some good answers here. I had a colposcopy done last week. I had cramping for a day afterwards and a brown grainy discharge for 2 days afterwards. The discharge is simply the ointment the doctor applies to your cervix right after the procedure to stop any bleeding on the cervix. That is completely normal.

My doctor told me no sex for 7 days (moot point for me since I'm not with anyone at the moment), and she also said no tampons for 7 days. Otherwise there was no real after care.

The vaginitis is something you'll need to consult with your doctor about. Take care.

Closed Thread