It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2010, 05:17 PM   #1
(female)

mommyandwifey HB User
HPV and Indole 3 Carbinol??

Hi,

I'm new to this board. When I was here before I would post to the Cervical Cancer board. In any case, for the last 3 years, I've had abnormal paps (ASCUS/ Neg HPV). Finally got a normal pap 6 mos ago. Well guess what, I feel like a total idiot now because I am back to an ASCUS pap but this time the HPV was positive. Dr's office says it could've laid dormant for a very long time but I suspect it's a new infection. Needless to say, I feel totally idiotic and am raking myself over the coals. In any case, I had a colpo today. The Dr. biopsied the same 2 spots that she did 2 years ago (when she told the nurse 12:00 and 5:00, I immediately remembered that those were 2 of the 3 places she did before). Maybe I'm overthinking it but 1. it was one less biopsy than before and 2. same spots...no new areas. Maybe it's nothing but I'm hanging on to anything positive I can muster up. She said the rest of the cervix looked healthy. She also said she thinks it will come back "atypia" or CIN 1 at most. She said she'd be shocked if it were moderate or severe. So, in the scheme of things, that's good news!

She also suggested something called Indole 3 Carbinol. I'm researching on the web but wondering if anyone has tried it and had any results? The only study I've found is from 1999. Any help or feedback is appreciated.

PickleEyes, if you read this...a big HELLO and HUG to you! I've missed the boards but as with all of us I truly wish we had no reason for it!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2010, 05:34 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: HPV and Indole 3 Carbinol??

Hey, Mommyandwifey! I'm sorry to hear your test came back with high risk HPV. I don't know anything about the supplement (is it a supplement?) but I have read others discuss it. I wish I could help more!

Old 03-14-2010, 11:08 AM   #3
(female)

Noria HB User
Re: HPV and Indole 3 Carbinol??

I suggest that you take 3,3'-Diindolylmethane (DIM) instead of Indole-3-carbinol since Indole-3-carbinol is the precursor of DIM.
Indole-3-carbinol dimerizes in acid environment of your stomach to become DIM in your body. I also read that DIM is superior to I3C because of bioavailability.

If you have questions regarding DIM, you can always go to pubmed.gov and type in DIM and cervical dysplasia. You'll find scientific articles on DIM and cervical issues from the National Library of Science website.

There are randomized, controlled, double-blind phase III clinical trials on DIM.

Here are some things I read about DIM and I3C:

1. DIM inhibits the development of E6/E7 oncogene-induced cervical lesions.
2. I3C have been implicated in a variety of anticarcinogenic mechanisms, but deleterious effects also have been reported in some experimental protocols, including tumor promotion over prolonged periods of exposure (there are contradictory results on I3C and DIM, and I3C can be toxic so don't take it for a long time, some say DIM shows no toxicity, talk to your doctor).
3. Some studies indicate that dietary I3C prevents the development of estrogen-enhanced cancers including breast, endometrial and cervical cancers by inducing apoptosis of cancer cells(cell death) in vitro.

None of these published papers are really prestigious in my opinion, but I think taking DIM won't hurt. Why not? I'm considering taking it.

Also Folic Acid supplements are supposed to be good for cervical dysplasia.
Some argue that beta-carotene is good for cervical dysplasia, but I also read papers claiming that it has no effect.

IMO, if it's not deleterious, there is no harm in taking vitamin supplements for low grade cervical dysplasia. Consult your doctor.

BTW, none of these results are conclusive. Take them with a grain of salt. Don't believe anecdotal evidence either.

Best regards,

Last edited by Noria; 03-14-2010 at 11:30 AM.

Closed Thread