It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2010, 12:23 PM   #1
(female)

mbabcock HB User
Vulvar cancer

I have just been diagnosed with this cancer. I can't find any forums with this topic. Does anyone know where I can talk to others with this diagnosis? I've been looking for an hour. I'm terrified.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:47 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: Vulvar cancer

I'm sorry to hear of your diagnosis. What do you know about it? Have you seen a gynecological oncologist, yet? What treatment is recommended?

There is a forum here called Cancer: Cervical and Ovarian. Since most cervical cancers and squamous cell, and I think vulvar cancer is usually squamous, you might find some information there.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2010, 11:42 PM   #3
(female)

mbabcock HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickle Eyes View Post
I'm sorry to hear of your diagnosis. What do you know about it? Have you seen a gynecological oncologist, yet? What treatment is recommended?

There is a forum here called Cancer: Cervical and Ovarian. Since most cervical cancers and squamous cell, and I think vulvar cancer is usually squamous, you might find some information there.
I went into my gyn for a pap. I had a sore for some time, but just ignored it, assuming my urine was annoying it. He asked me how long it had been there. 8-12 mo? I think. He immediately closed his office, and literally sliced what he could get right there in the office. 1 1/2 hours. local anestheia. I had NO IDEA what was happening. I thought he was just gonna take a biopsy. He sent that out and it came back as not gone. I have an appt. with a gynecological oncologist on wed. I am terrified. I did research, what a mistake, I don't know what to expect. I just wanted to talk to someone who knows something. I'm already arranging my funeral. I can't think of anything else. I'm rambling... sorry. thanks for your response...

Old 03-14-2010, 10:24 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

(((hugs))))

Honestly, obgyns are experts in vaginal infections, doing paps, taking care of pregnant women, delivering babies, and caring for a woman postpartum. They are NOT the experts when it comes to dysplasia. The gyn/onc is. I'd heard that over and over before I got to my gyn/onc, but now believe it. My obgyn was panicky at my adenocarcinoma Ia1; my gyn/onc said "it needs to be removed in the next 6 months" and then she gave me several options. My gynonc answered so many questions and that helped me calm down about my cancer and longterm outcome.

I strongly suggest you go to your doctor with a written list of questions. Leave room to write answers. If you have someone you trust, ask him/her to go with you to help remember what the doctor says.

A few of your questions might be to ask for copies of your pathology reports (including the one where the doctor removed the lesion); what is the name of your lesions/atypia; what is the treatment plan; do you have any options; how soon do you need treatment; etc.

Let us know how you are doing!

Old 03-14-2010, 11:00 PM   #5
(female)

mbabcock HB User

My gyno. said he isn't going to answer real specific questions due to the fact he is not an Oncologist. Things have happened very quickly. I don't even know what its called. He just said it was definitley cancerous. Melenoma? Lymphoma? Adenocarcima? I don't know. I'm already thinking I'm a goner. It's odd what your head tells you when you hear the C word applied to you. Anyone else, it''s just a shame, sorry to hear it, you know what I mean? I am dreading the oncologist yet anxious to know what to expect. There is very little information i could find. And what I did find was horrible. That in itself scares me. I am just trying to stay busy and not think about it too much. thanks for your suggestions and your ear. You don't know how appreciative I am. Thank you. I will let you know what the Dr. tells me on Wed.

Old 06-04-2010, 01:59 PM   #6
(female)

EastCoastS HB User

how are you doing? What ended up happening with your case?

Closed Thread