It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2010, 02:56 AM   #1
(female)

Jhuskers HB User
Colposcopy Weds- only 19, very nervous.

Hi,
I've been looking for a place like this for a few days now. I'm 19 years old and just got my second abnormal pap back a week ago. My doctor scheduled a colposcopy with biopsy for this Wednesday and I couldn't be more nervous. I'm not worried so much about it hurting, but I can't help but fear that the cause of the abnormal results is HPV. My mother had cryo done on her cervix several years ago and eventually had a hysterectomy to avoid having full-fledged cervical cancer. Although I've only been with two sexual partners, I am so worried about having contracted HPV (not the type that causes warts, as I do NOT have those). If anyone could walk me through the colposcopy and biopsy process a little, that would be so fantastic. I've read up on it on the internet, but it all seems so impersonal. Can anyone offer me any words of advice or reassurance? I quite honestly am losing sleep over this! (I'm aware that's ridiculous!)
Thanks in advance,
J

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2010, 01:56 PM   #2
(female)

Ms_T HB UserMs_T HB User
Re: Colposcopy Weds- only 19, very nervous.

Don't be nervous, the procedure really isn't that bad. I am going to have my third one on Friday so I know what you are going through. Basically it is similar to a pap in the sense that you are in the stirrups etc, but this time they use a vinegar substance (I believe) on your cervix. They then shine a light on it to see if they can see any lesions. If they see them they snip them off, it is just a pinch and then they do a little scrape of the cervical canal. It doesn't take long at all and you just have some cramping and discharge for a few days (not even as bad as menstrual cramps). I don't mind the procedure, I just worry over the results and the hpv itself.
It will be fine. Good Luck.
Ivy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2010, 02:39 PM   #3
(female)

Jhuskers HB User

Thanks for the info! Waiting for the exam as well as waiting for the results is most definitely the worst part! After being diagnosed with endometriosis at 17, it's just been one thing after another! Hopefully my body will just ease up on me for a few years after this!

-J

Old 03-19-2010, 02:36 PM   #4
(female)

astratta HB User

I feel your pain, as I had an abnormal pap smear a few weeks ago as well. I had a colposcopy last week, and it wasn't that bad. The vinegar spray stings a little, and the actual pinching off for the biopsy causes a slight cramp, but it is no big deal at all. It really is the results that are nerve-wracking!! I'm having a cold knife cone biopsy next week, and am terribly nervous about it! I don't really even know what I have yet - the pap came back with "adenocarcinoma in situ", but the biopsy from the colposcopy and the CKC could tell me something different.
Good luck ladies.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:22 PM   #5
(female)

Jhuskers HB User

Well, on Wednesday, I went in for my biopsy. It wasn't bad at all! I was actually very surprised! I suppose I'll post back here and refer to you all again when it comes time to discuss my results that I should be getting in a few days! Thanks again everyone!

Old 03-20-2010, 01:47 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

I'm glad the colpo and biopsy weren't as bad as you thought they'd be. Yes, please let us know how your results come back!

Closed Thread