It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2010, 11:54 AM   #1
(female)

Ms_T HB UserMs_T HB User
Why can't I clear it?

Hi Everyone,
I am 36 years old and I just got my third hpv positive test results in the past two years. My pap smears come back normal which I am so relieved about but I just don't understand why my body won't clear the hpv. I have to go and have another colpo done even though my pap was good because the hpv has been positive for so long. I am glad the doctor is doing this to be safe but I am just so concerned about testing positive for two years. Has anyone had an experience where they tested positive for two straight years or longer? If so when or did you ever clear it? Also, I have this vision in my mind that the hpv is just sitting there attacking my cervix and that because of that I won't possible escape damage at some point in the form of cervical cancer. Is there any truth to that vision? I am just so depressed and feel contaminated.
Help
Ivy

Old 03-16-2010, 10:50 AM   #2
(female)

Ms_T HB UserMs_T HB User
Question Re: Why can't I clear it?

Anybody have any experiences they can share...please?
Thanks,
Ivy

The Following User Says Thank You to Ms_T For This Useful Post:
axgirl (10-21-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2010, 05:21 PM   #3
(female)

TG1084 HB User
Re: Why can't I clear it?

Hi. I can relate to your anxiety and frustration. I had an abnormal pap in 2007 (I believe it was May, but not totally sure now). It was due to HPV, high risk, mild dysplasia. Here we are almost THREE YEARS later and I have not had a NORMAL pap since before May 2007. I have had a followup pap every 3-6 months since then. Nothing has changed so that's good, but it is still from the HPV! I am going in for ANOTHER pap in May since my last one at my annual in Feb was abnormal again. If it's abnormal again, I will be getting my third colposcopy. I have had cryosurgery once like 2 years ago. My doctor hasn't recommended anything else b/c the area is so small and it's mild. I wish I could clear it and I don't understand b/c I eat healthy, work out religiously, and haven't even had that many sexual partners plus use condoms 100% of the time.

I have stopped worrying too much b/c I have a lot of friends who have it too. Some are still going through what I am, but many have cleared it, which adds to my frustration b/c they smoke, don't eat right, or exercise!! My doctor has told me that I am fine though and to continue to come to my followups. Apparently cervical cancer can take like 10 years to develop and it's usually b/c people do not keep up with their followup paps.

Old 03-16-2010, 05:31 PM   #4
(female)

Ms_T HB UserMs_T HB User

Thanks for the response. It helps to know that you aren't alone. It is frustrating for sure, all the procedures and dissapointment when the results come back bad again. I know it is so common but I just don't want to be dealing with it. I hope your clears up soon and I am sure it will. I bet mine will too but I am so impatient.
Thanks again.
Ivy

Old 03-16-2010, 05:32 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

Hi Ivy, the colpo is actually diagnostic and possibly treatment. The pap is only a screening tool. In my opinion, it is far better to go for the colpo and see what is going on. Since you are 36 and testing positive for HPV, ask your doctor to also do an ECC (endocervical curettage). It is the only nonsurgical way to check the cells in the cervical canal. The cells there are different from the ones on the outer cervix and therefore cannot be tested by a pap.

When a woman stays with her recheck schedule, it is very likely to catch any dysplasia before it becomes cancer. There are many forms of treatment on various levels of dysplasia.

Old 03-17-2010, 01:21 PM   #6
(female)

Ms_T HB UserMs_T HB User

Thanks for the info Pickle Eyes. This is my second colpo in a year since I keep testing positive and it is because of you that I asked about the ECC. My doc did the ECC with the colpo last time and I will make sure they do again. My appt. was bumped to Wednesday and switched to another doctor so I will need to ask him. That worries me a bit as he is not my usual doctor but my doctor broke her shoulder skiing so she can't do the procedure for at least a month. Thanks for the encouraging words about catching this before it becomes cancer. I get worked up picturing myself doing chemo and all that but I know logically they would catch it long before that every happened.
Thanks again.
Ivy

Old 03-17-2010, 07:07 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

You're welcome Ivy. Let us know how it goes, ok?!

On another note, I was expecting a doctor to do a surgical procedure on me several years ago. The day before the procedure, I received a call saying there was a scheduling error and someone else would do the procedure. I was FURIOUS and scared. It ended up the doctor who did the procedure was absolutely wonderful and thorough! I decided it is better to have more than one opinion, anyway.

So let's hope it works out this way for you!

Old 03-18-2010, 04:28 PM   #8
(female)

Ms_T HB UserMs_T HB User

Yeah, I have been trying to think the same way. I have often wondered if maybe I need a little change and he is a good doctor so I am sure it will be okay and maybe a pleasant surprise.
Thanks.
Ivy

Closed Thread