It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2010, 01:08 AM   #1
(female)

sgk2010 HB User
Confused about my test results and potential tests

I am 25 years old, and this is probably my third or fourth pap smear I've had. I used to have them done at the health department and they never got in contact with me telling me that my tests came back abnormal or anything like that. Last year I had to have surgery and move so I didn't get a chance to get my yearly pap until about two weeks ago. So the last one I had was 2008 unfortunately. I was being more careless this year as far as my relationships went, and an ex of mine informed me he had tested positive for chlamydia (wonderful...), so that prompted me to go for my annual and everything else. I got a call, the STD tests came back fine but my pap tested for abnormal cells (she did not specify whether they were the ASCUS type or clearly abnormal) and I guess they went ahead and did an HPV test on my sample and she told me they found High Risk HPV cells so they want to do a Colposcopy to check things out further.
The only reason I know this is now is because I was so confused on the phone...all I could remember was hearing HPV and high risk and feeling so bad. This is what I get for being irresponsible and making poor choices I suppose. And now I feel like I have to tell my current and previous partners as well.
So, I have read around and some women opt to just get retested down the line even if they have an abnormal pap and high risk HPV rather than having a colposcopy. I am confused as to why they are wanting to go ahead and do a colposcopy and perhaps a biopsy if something looks weird....I guess this would be better than just having another screen and another HPV test then? Also, I wonder now if I've had this much longer than I have known about because of not ever hearing from the health department. They could have known and just never told me since I didn't go back sometimes to get some other test results. I am just sad, confused and embarrassed. I don't even want to think about what they could potentially find. So, anyone who has dealt with this, what suggestions do you have?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2010, 11:20 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: Confused about my test results and potential tests

A pap is only a screening tool. It doesn't give any definitive diagnostics. The colposcopy can diagnose. It also allows for a biopsy if needed. So, if the doctor offers the colpo, I say go for it!

To me it is kind of like a mechanic saying "we think you have a brake problem, but we aren't certain" or a mechanic saying "we've taken the tire off and looked at your brakes - this is what we saw." I'd prefer a more specific results, rather than a general impression.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:11 AM   #3
(female)

sgk2010 HB User

Thanks, that is what I am going to do. Thankfully, if anything is wrong it will be caught early. I just hope the Colposcopy comes back with negative results. I will reply with those results and see from there.

Old 03-31-2010, 07:49 PM   #4
(female)

az2002 HB User

I found out in Jan that my routine pap came back abnormal and postive for high risk HPV. I was told to set an appointment with an OBGYN and get a Colp. My OBGYN took a look at my results and told me since they were so minor and this is so common she wanted to wait 6 months to see if this would clear itself before doing a Colp. So, I'm getting the string of vacinations and waiting until August to see.

Don't beat yourself up, it's hard not to do because it's a shocker. HPV is very common. I know it's hard to accept since it means with high risk you may have cevical cancer but most people do clear it and that's what I'm hoping for. Do what you can to keep yourself healhy. Trust me it's hard, I'm still coping with it.

Also, you can get your medical records from your previous clinic, to find out if your paps were abnormal but most likely they would have let you know.

Old 04-13-2010, 12:35 AM   #5
(female)

sgk2010 HB User

I totally know how you feel. I went to have my routine pap at my Student Health Center because I lost my insurance when I lost my job last year, so I don't even have a OBGYN at this point. I guess that's why the next logical step was to have a Colpo just because I don't have a gyn to look at my results I guess. I don't know, I could be wrong on that. They ended up sending me the results in the mail too, and the Nurse Practitioner had written 'Atypical' on the paper so I guess they were ASCUS with High Risk HPV present.

I was so scared when I had the Colpo cause I was having such a busy week at school and not really in the mood to be poked and proded and possibly biopsied. Once that reality sank in I got very nervous. I had to wait 3 weeks after I got my results too, because the OBGYN only comes in once a month to do these types of procedures. So it was a whole month afterward. The initial sting of knowing I had HPV had subsided but I was still sad and still am to this day. Anyway, she really comforted me and assured me whatever may be wrong, we can correct it since we would be catching anything early. She took about 10 minutes total for everything, it was very quick and it wasn't painful...at first. I heard her mumble something to the nurse about 'biopsy' and I got very upset. Then she said, looks like you're good! No biopsy needed. (I guess she said, no biopsy needs to be done.) What a relief. She told me just to check up on it in 6 months with another pap, and just some tips like exercise and taking vitamins with folic acid to kind of help my immune system assist in suppressing this since I am still young. So I will see in 6 months, hopefully it won't be any worse. I am just glad I can look forward, but ultimately I do feel betrayed and of course this will loom over me until I get some good paps in the future hopefully. Additionally, I did experience some cervical pain for about 3 - 4 days after the procedure. I didn't really see what she did, but it felt like cramps for that long! For some piece of mind, it was worth it.

Closed Thread