It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2010, 01:04 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

curly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB User
All this HPV talk has got me confused!!

4 years ago I had an abnormal pap smear- the cancerous one. I think it was low risk weird cell activity so they wanted me to go back for a coposcopy (sp?). Everytime it was scheduled, I had my period. I moved to a different state where I no longer had health insurance and couldn't see a doctor for months. When finally I was able to go, I was surprised that my pap was normal. Ever since, I have had normal pap smears.

My doctor said is not uncommon for the body to fight it off, especially if you are young and healthy. So I've been assuming I no longer have HPV. Or do I still have it and it is just dormant? Does the cancerous type of HPV turn into the herpes/ genital warts kind of HPV? Should I tell my boyfriends I had/ have/ had this? I thought this was in the past. But the more I navigate on this site, the more concerned I have become...

Help?

Old 03-26-2010, 06:27 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

kilgore52 HB User
Re: All this HPV talk has got me confused!!

yes, you still have HPV and it is now dormant. Reports say that it may never show up again or long term it could come back. That is why paps are so important to have. You can get the other strains too because you may not be in a long term relationship with the same person, so yes you could get warts from another strain. There is the HPV shot to help prevent that. Doctors say that men have no symptoms from HPV, but studies say that certain cancers from oral or anal sex can happen from HPV in men and women . Lots of scary things reported, but just keep getting paps. As far as telling the guy, that is up to you. Most women don't tell the guy because almost everyone male and female have HPV of some sort. It is pretty commom, but can be pretty scary for women with cervical cancer from not having paps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2010, 06:51 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

curly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB User

Thanks Kilgore, but I'm still confused! LOL. Ok, I am not in a long term relationship, but I am in a monogamous relationship. My question is, you say I could get warts from another strain, but can the strain that I have, the cervicle cancer one, mutate/ evolve into the wart/ herpes strain?

I chose not to tell my last and current BF because guys can't get cervicle cancer... but obviously, they can carry it and give it to their potential sexual mates...

Besides the obvious symptoms of the warts/ herpes strain, is there a specific HPV test besides receiving an abnormal pap smear? If I didn't get a pap done on the specific month I went in, I would have not even know I had HPV since every pap after that has been normal.

Old 03-26-2010, 08:04 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Ok, HPV strains can't morph into other strains I learned.

This board has got me so paranoid... I think I'm just going to leave it!!! I have had 3 1/2 years of normal paps... I shouldn't be freaking out!!!

Thanks

Last edited by moderator2; 03-26-2010 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Please do not post commercial websites.

Old 03-26-2010, 06:25 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

HPV and Herpes are different viruses and have different symptoms. It is possible to have both viruses, though.

There are over 100 strains of HPV. Of those, there are over 30 strains that affect the genitals (vulva, vagina, cervix, anus/rectum, penis, mouth/throat. Of those 30+ strains, some of low risk and some are high risk. Low risk HPV can cause genital warts. High risk HPV can cause dysplasia which could lead to cancer if undetected and/or untreated. High risk HPV does not cause warts; low risk HPV does not lead to cancer. It is entirely possible to have more than one type of HPV (low risk and high risk). It is also entirely possible to have more than one strain of each type of HPV.

Hopefully, the strains of HPV are "fought" by the body and remain dormant for life. Sometimes, the body isn't able to fight the strain and warts appear or dysplasia is detected (depending on the types). Sometimes the strain(s) of HPV do not cause damage until years or decades later.

HPV is a horrible way to determine fidelity of a partner.

Yes, there is a separate HPV test which a doctor can perform. It require scraping the cervix, similar to how a pap is performed. There is no reliable, comfortable, or inexpensive HPV test for men.

I hope that helps.

BTW, most of what I know about HPV is based on what I've read at the website for the CDC or research hospitals.

Old 03-27-2010, 10:10 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Hi Pickle Eyes,

Thanks for responding. There is just much information out there that I was getting it all confused. I found my test 2006 pap results which found abnormalities in the cervix (high risk- precancerous). It was after graduating college so while I wasn't promiscuous, my partner was. You live and you learn, right? I didn't even have my colposcopy done because by the time I went for another pap, it was normal. I have had normal paps ever since. But I guess I'm just so paranoid about it. It seems like my body has fought it off, but it seems like there is no answer to whether that means it's completely gone or not- which is the answer I want!

I was just confused about the wart thing because I wasn't sure if I could just get one out of no where (out of no where because I have never had one), then pass it to my BF without even knowing. But this doesn't seem possible unless I specifically get the HPV strain that causes warts.

But since I am paranoid, even tho I have had normal paps, can a HPV test tell me if I still have the virus? I'm sure the answer is no, but reassurance would be nice .

Old 03-27-2010, 08:05 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by curly fry View Post
I have had normal paps ever since. But I guess I'm just so paranoid about it. It seems like my body has fought it off, but it seems like there is no answer to whether that means it's completely gone or not- which is the answer I want!
The way I understand the research on HPV and HPV detection, none of us will know if the virus is completely gone or not. We all want the answer, though. From what I've read, there are 2 major thoughts, some doctors say that once the virus is no longer actively causing damage, then one can conclude that the virus will cause no future problems. The other camp says that the virus could reactivate later in life if the person is under great stress (emotional or physical). It is important to remember that the HPV tests, currently, can only detect active infections, not dormant virus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curly fry View Post
I was just confused about the wart thing because I wasn't sure if I could just get one out of no where (out of no where because I have never had one), then pass it to my BF without even knowing. But this doesn't seem possible unless I specifically get the HPV strain that causes warts.
The answer to this is similar to what I said earlier. It is possible for the strains of HPV which cause genital warts to not affect one person, but can affect another person. It is also possible for the virus to reactivate later in life.

Not terribly reassuring news, I know.

That's the way I understand the research, though.

Closed Thread