It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2010, 01:32 PM   #1
(female)

mmcmommmy HB User
Unhappy Help please!!!

I am new to this...so please excuse me if i have posted in the wrong section

I was just tested positive for high risk hpv....and ASCUS...which is precancerous...I was scheduled for an immediate colposcopy next week. I am 21 years old ( i havent had a pap since the birth of my 2 year old)...i am 6 1/2 months pregnant right now...and i have had 6 sexual partners in my life....please someone help me at what the chances are that this IS cervical cancer! or if anyone has any similar expericence..and will this affect the birth of my new child? thank you so much for reading

Old 03-31-2010, 06:34 PM   #2
(female)

az2002 HB User
Re: Help please!!!

My post probably won't help much but that's because concrete truths aren't really known about HPV.

Ok, so you haven't had a pap in 2 years. If you had an abnormal pap two years ago they most likely would have tested it for HPV. You can get your medical records to see if your pap was abnormal. I'm going to assume it wasn't, otherwise your doctor would have told you. It typically takes several years for cervical cancer to form after an abnormal pap. So, either you aquired HPV in the last two years or it layed dormant until now at which point it's creating cell changes in your cervix. Your doctor will most likely recheck you in 6 months or so to see if the HPV has cleared itself. I know it's shocking news, I thought I knew about all STD's and I thought I was careful but HPV is very common and with the high risk that causes cervical changes, you can't tell if a person has it. I was also told by my doctor that it's believed that condoms can't protect against HPV. I'm a college student and currently taking Biology 2 so I understand some of the terms, I did some research and learned that the cells which cause HPV are extremely small.

Now, I'm in the same boat as most, we just don't know much about HPV. We don't know whether it goes away, as some say, or lays dormant, until you are stressed.

It's important but hard to keep in mind that this is a very common virus and most people will have it at some point in their life. Most people don't even know they have it as it clears itself from your system and of course men can't be tested for it.

As far as your unborn child, I would ask all questions you have to your doctor. A good doctor will be able to settle your mind. My OBGYN told me after I tested positive during a routine Pap that this is extremely common and because of that she wanted me to return in 6 months to check to see if it has gotten worse. My primary care doctor told me the same thing, that it is very common and referred me to an OBGYN.

Unfortunately, people can tell you that and it means very little, I found out 3 months ago and I'm still having a hard time coping with the fact that I got an STI.

So, mostly, I want to say sorry, because my post did little to answer your question, however, HPV is very common and while there are horror stories most people clear this virus.

I'm not certain who is benefiting more, the person who doesn't have a pap and never knows they have HPV and their body clears the virus or the person that has regular paps and has to deal with the stigma of having an STI. Rest assured that if it is something serious, since you found out early, there are options.

You have a lot of support here.

Last edited by az2002; 03-31-2010 at 06:36 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread