It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2010, 12:02 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

starryGal09 HB UserstarryGal09 HB User
Niece was HPV positive, now has uterine fibroids?

Found out recently my young under 30 y o never married, no children, niece tested for high risk HPV types 16/18/31/33/35/39/45/51/52/56/58/59/68 without differentiation (is what the report claims).
She was treated with Aldara for genital warts, discontinued the cream and had them burned off repeatedly and has had no flare ups since 08. She claims her present pap was ok but needs to see a gyne for uterine fibroids?
I am worried. I don't know much about HPV, the types, etc so I am not sure what to tell her and her mom, when they ask me what I think.
There was NO indication that she had the types that cause warts - is it 6 and 11? that were ever detected? Should they have been? But she had some type of warts - lesions that required burning! DO ALL HPV types cause Warts? They found her to have HPV but none of the wart type numbers came up on labs.

The diagnosis of this particular pap claims: Epithelial cell abnormality. Low-grade squamous intraepithelial lesion (LGSIL); mild dysplasia and Human Papillomavirus effects are present.

That was in 08. Are there other tests that should be ordered now? Follow up? Could the "fibroids" seen recently 03/2010, with an intravaginal u/s more likely be something serious related to the previous HPV?

She seems to just not be as concerned as I think she should be. Had a pap, came back fine. I don't think her new pcp has any of the previous testing done in 08, but did refer her to a gyne.

She isn't too worried about making an appt with another doctor for no one has said she needs to be overly concerned. Didn't even know she had fibroids. They are not causing any symptoms, so she is not acting aggressively. Should she be? Should I tell her mom to get her in ASAP? Or is this just a routine find - the "fibroids" and probably not much to think about?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2010, 02:43 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: Niece was HPV positive, now has uterine fibroids?

Uterine fibroids are not related to HPV. No documentation that I've read say they are related.

Her test results that list all of those numbers most likely states that she was "tested" for those strains of high risk HPV and that she has at least one of them. It is extremely rare when a doctor orders testing which detects specific strains. At this point, there is little need to know specific numbers - it is important to know high risk and/or low risk.

If a patient presents with genital warts, it is assumed the patient has low risk HPV.

Because she is showing signs of negative effects from high risk HPV (the epithelial abnormalities and LGSIL), she needs to be certain that she is keeping up with her doctor's appointments. Depending on her age, her body might fight the virus and the LGSIL could go away OR the LGSIL could progress to higher levels of damage. Her doctor most likely gave her retesting directions when she tested for LGSIL. Most likely the doctor told her to come back every so-many months for retesting. She needs to keep on track with that, lest the damage progresses.

Early stages of dysplasia (which is what she has) can be treated very easily (cryotherapy, colposcopy and biopsy, LEEP, etc). The more damage there is, the more invasive the treatment and the fewer choices she (or the doctor) has.

The Center for Disease Control (USA) website has a lot of really good information about HPV.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:30 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

starryGal09 HB UserstarryGal09 HB User
Re: Niece was HPV positive, now has uterine fibroids?

Thank you so much Pickle Eyes! I just have no idea here. Her mom asked me if I thought the fibroids could be cancer that was caused by this and I'll tell you I have no idea.
I get all worried and try to make sense of what is on the internet and I really don't know. Her dd seems so unconcerned to me.

I am going to pass this information onto her and stress she informs her new doctor of the previous test results from 2008. Possibly even take the old lab results too.

Closed Thread