It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2010, 10:37 AM   #1
(male)

loopy88 HB User
info

where on your body do you get this

Old 07-12-2010, 12:07 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

jacal5 HB Userjacal5 HB User
Re: info

High risk HPV (cancer causing strains) is transmitted by skin to skin contact, but since you are a male you will never know if you have it because there are no symptoms and there is no medical testing for males. HPV can live on the upper leg, penis, in the saliva, etc. HPV related oral cancer is on the rise in males and can be transmitted via French kissing, for instance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2010, 06:36 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

Jacal has given you some good information, and I'd like to add to it, and seek some clarification on something else.

HPV (high risk and low risk) can cause damage to the vulva, vagina, cervix, anus/rectum, penis, mouth/throat. Obviously, loopy88, some of those don't apply to you, they do apply to anyone you might have some sort of sexual interaction with. HPV can be transmitted through various forms of foreplay as well as intercourse (oral, anal, vaginal).

I have not seen research that supports that HPV is transmitted via French kissing. I have my opinions about that, but will not express them until there is research to back it up . . .

There is a test for men (in the USA), but it is expensive, isn't covered by insurance, and I don't know how accurate it is. Most doctors do not feel it is of much value to test a man since he doesn't develop abnormal cells, normally.

It is safe to say that if you have had as few as one sexual partner (remember, foreplay is one way to transmit HPV), who has had any experience prior to you, then it is highly likely that you have been exposed to at least one strain of HPV. There are over 30 strains that affect just the genitals (those areas I mentioned earlier).

Hope that helps.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:45 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dr. Maura S. Gillison of The Ohio State University, Columbus and her colleagues did a study on HPV which concluded that for 28 percent of college-aged men who reported never having performed oral sex, having at least 10 lifetime or at least five recent open-mouthed kissing partners was associated with a significantly higher risk of developing oral HPV infection. This data suggests that oral HPV infections that could predispose to cancer may be transmitted by French kissing. This study was reported by Reuters Health on May 12, 2009.

Additionally, the STD's web-sites are warning not to kiss on dates if a person doesn't want to risk HPV transmission! This is devastating news and I wouldn't have posted the information that French kissing could lead to oral HPV infection if I didn't research it myself.

I really cringe when I watch programs like "The Bachelorette", which show Ali (the present Bachelorette), kissing several potential mates, I hope she isn't French kissing them. Some tv viewers on other sites are criticizing shows like "The Bachelorette" for showing one person having physical contact with several partners while HPV continues to spread, it's not a good message to be sending to our young people, most are not aware of how HPV is transmitted, as a matter of fact, most adults don't know about HPV transmission. If Ali has been vaccinated against HPV which may prevent her from acquiring high risk HPV, the show should state that fact, IMO.

Thanks for adding more great info to my reply, Pickle Eyes, it is important to let the male poster know where low and high risk HPV is lurking in both males and females and the health consequences to both sexes, I gave him a short reply on some of the male issues of high risk HPV because no one was replying to him and I felt bad, and I was in a rush to get out of the house.

Last edited by jacal5; 07-13-2010 at 03:30 AM.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:34 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

GREAT info, thank you so much for post that!

I have believed that french kissing can transmit HPV for 2 years (since I learned about HPV), but like I said, I hadn't seen research on it (and I haven't searched in a while - obviously!). French kissing involves prolonged contact between mucous membranes, just like in oral sex. So it makes sense to me that it could transmit HPV, also.

I am so glad you gave me some research to go look at! Yay!

Thank you!

Old 07-14-2010, 02:58 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

You are welcome! See, you were right about HPV transmission and French kissing all along. I also learned about HPV about two years ago when a friend of mine told me two of her girlfriends got cervical cancer because their husbands cheated, but after reading this board, now I know that it's difficult to determine which partner acquired HPV first, even a virgin can get HPV and be a carrier.

I live in a big city, and a few months ago I sent two letters to the Superintendent of Schools regarding the school system's failure to teach students about HPV, but I never received a response from him, even though I requested one.

MY niece says her health teacher taught them how to protect against HIV (AIDS) with condoms, but never taught them about HPV and how it is spread by skin to skin contact, so these kids falsely think as long as they use condoms they will be protected against all STD's.

I keep telling my niece not to have any contact with boys, even kissing, unless she wants to get the vaccine, with her parents permission, of course.

Last edited by jacal5; 07-14-2010 at 02:58 AM.

Closed Thread