It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2011, 01:17 PM   #1
(female)

dragonwhispers HB User
Confused ...

I was recently diagnosed with HPV.

If my pap showed no abnormal cells, why would they automatically test for HPV?

Also, if there were abnormal cells would they not be requesting further testing rather than waiting to see how my next pap goes?

Old 06-29-2011, 01:28 PM   #2
(female)

Switch96 HB UserSwitch96 HB UserSwitch96 HB UserSwitch96 HB User
Re: Confused ...

My guess would be that, while there is some abnormal cell development, it has not progressed into a stage that would require an invasive procedure such as LEEP/LOOP and/or colposcopy. Your doc is probably waiting to see if your body rids itself of the condition on its own, rather than subjecting you to a guaranteed uncomfortable procedure. Women who have cervical cells that can be considered "precancerous" usually have had the infection for an extended period and have, for whatever reason, been unable to suppress the virus on their own. You will definitely want to discuss this matter with your doctor, as he/she knows you best, and most of us on this board are not medical professionals.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2011, 02:56 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB User
Re: Confused ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonwhispers View Post
I was recently diagnosed with HPV.

If my pap showed no abnormal cells, why would they automatically test for HPV?

Also, if there were abnormal cells would they not be requesting further testing rather than waiting to see how my next pap goes?
I'm confused? Did your PAP show abnormal cells, or not?

As to why they'd automatically test you for HPV, that's simple. At least here in the states, all women over 30 are routinely tested for HPV at every exam. To test for HPV, they use a swab to get a sample of fluid from the cervix, which is obtained at the same time they're obtaining the PAP.
Why would you not want to know if you have HPV?

Typically, if your PAP was abnormal, they would proceed to further testing- colposcopy, biopsy, and treatment, if necessary (CIN1, the mildest form of abnormal cells, is usually not treated, since it often goes away on its own. Doctors just take a watch and wait approach, with frequent PAPs).

The exception would be if your abnormal PAP was an ASCUS result. I believe this stands for Atypical Squamus Cells of Unknown Significance.
This is a fairly common PAP result. Although technically it is "abnormal", it does not necessarily indicate precancerous cells. Often, an infection or a bit of inflammation will cause this result. Therefore, when a woman gets this result, doctors often wait and do another PAP in a few months, to see if it clears up. If it doesn't, then they'll probably proceed with further testing.
I believe they are simply trying to spare you unnecessary invasive testing.
Although if they have in fact determined that you are positive for HPV, and if the strain you're positive for is one of the high-risk strains... then possibly you should push your doctor for a colpo and a biopsy now, rather than wait and see if it clears up at the next PAP.

Best of luck.

Last edited by Kali333; 06-29-2011 at 02:57 PM.

Closed Thread