It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2011, 10:55 PM   #1
(male)

notafan HB User
Angry Hpv

Hi everyone,
If you're like me, you've heard a lot about this STD/virus/infection but I'm a bit inconclusive about a few things. I'm a male, and I don't have it..but a girl that is interested in me HAS had it, but been treated for it.. I've read that condoms don't offer 100% protection but would it matter if it's been treated? I've read somewhere that it remains dormant.. There is ultimately another girl I've been sexually active with for a long while now, and I don't know if she's the one or not... but I don't want to cause her any issues because of decisions I make (and for the record, we're not together, so it's not an "unfaithful" sort of thing).

I guess what I'm asking is: if it's treated, can it still be spread, even when using a condom? Or does it only spread if it's not treated?

Old 07-02-2011, 04:39 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB User
Re: Hpv

Quote:
Originally Posted by notafan View Post
Hi everyone,
If you're like me, you've heard a lot about this STD/virus/infection but I'm a bit inconclusive about a few things. I'm a male, and I don't have it..but a girl that is interested in me HAS had it, but been treated for it.. I've read that condoms don't offer 100% protection but would it matter if it's been treated? I've read somewhere that it remains dormant.. There is ultimately another girl I've been sexually active with for a long while now, and I don't know if she's the one or not... but I don't want to cause her any issues because of decisions I make (and for the record, we're not together, so it's not an "unfaithful" sort of thing).

I guess what I'm asking is: if it's treated, can it still be spread, even when using a condom? Or does it only spread if it's not treated?
It's a virus, so it's not "curable". The symptoms (such as genital warts or precancer of the cervix, depending upon which strain of the virus she had) can be treated, but this does not cure the virus.

However, the virus does not remain in the body forever.
In the vast majority of people, it clears from the body within approximately 12 to 18 months.

There is a simple test for HPV (simple for females, anyway... much more invasive for males).
In females, it only involves a cervical swab similar to a PAP smear.

Perhaps if you're afraid of HPV, your girlfriend could go have this test and see if she still has the virus or not.
If she does, condoms will not really help, because the virus is not spread via bodily fluids but via skin to skin contact.

However, you should be aware that over 75% of sexually active Americans have had the HPV virus at one point or another; it's not something you're likely to be able to avoid, and in fact you may already have it.
It's that common.
And in males, it presents no health risks and has no symptoms, unless you're unfortunate enough to get one of the two strains that cause genital warts.

Best of luck.

Last edited by Kali333; 07-02-2011 at 04:39 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kali333 For This Useful Post:
notafan (07-02-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2011, 10:28 AM   #3
(male)

notafan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali333 View Post
It's a virus, so it's not "curable". The symptoms (such as genital warts or precancer of the cervix, depending upon which strain of the virus she had) can be treated, but this does not cure the virus.

However, the virus does not remain in the body forever.
In the vast majority of people, it clears from the body within approximately 12 to 18 months.

There is a simple test for HPV (simple for females, anyway... much more invasive for males).
In females, it only involves a cervical swab similar to a PAP smear.

Perhaps if you're afraid of HPV, your girlfriend could go have this test and see if she still has the virus or not.
If she does, condoms will not really help, because the virus is not spread via bodily fluids but via skin to skin contact.

However, you should be aware that over 75% of sexually active Americans have had the HPV virus at one point or another; it's not something you're likely to be able to avoid, and in fact you may already have it.
It's that common.
And in males, it presents no health risks and has no symptoms, unless you're unfortunate enough to get one of the two strains that cause genital warts.

Best of luck.
Thank you! I thought I had read that it could cause cancer for males as well, but I'm not certain.

Old 07-02-2011, 10:39 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by notafan View Post
Thank you! I thought I had read that it could cause cancer for males as well, but I'm not certain.
There is a tentative association between high risk strains of HPV and penile cancer in males, but the risk is negligible.
If you look at cancer statistics, penile cancer is incredibly rare in the developed world.
This fact, in combination with the fact that the majority of men have HPV at one time or another, shows that if there is any risk of penile cancer from HPV, it is tiny indeed.

According to the American Cancer Society, a man's risk of developing penile cancer is less than one in 100,000.
Just over 1000 cases of penile cancer are diagnosed in the US each year, and just over 300 men per year die of it. It is one of the rarest types of cancer there is. Your odds of winning the lottery or getting struck by lightning are much better.

Don't worry about it.

Old 07-03-2011, 09:17 AM   #5
(male)

notafan HB User

Thanks again!!

Closed Thread