HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Human Papillomavirus (HPV) (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/human-papillomavirus-hpv/)
-   -   got HPV (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/human-papillomavirus-hpv/858421-got-hpv.html)

marc martines 07-10-2011 02:46 AM

got HPV

IF I have HPV do I still have it.

keshep49 07-10-2011 09:58 PM

Re: got HPV

Your body can cure some strands of HPV with time, unfortunately there is no way to determine which strands you would carry.

Kali333 07-12-2011 06:47 PM

HPV typically clears from the body without treatment after approximately 12 to 18 months, as long as you have a healthy immune system.
There is an HPV test for both men and women. You can ask your doctor for it. It will tell whether you are infected, and if so, which strain/s you are infected with.

Best of luck.

keshep49 07-13-2011 11:38 AM

[QUOTE=Kali333;4798455]HPV typically clears from the body without treatment after approximately 12 to 18 months, as long as you have a healthy immune system.
There is an HPV test for both men and women. You can ask your doctor for it. It will tell whether you are infected, and if so, which strain/s you are infected with.

Best of luck.

There is no way to find out which strains you are infected with. fyi.

Kali333 07-13-2011 03:48 PM

[QUOTE=keshep49;4799005]

There is no way to find out which strains you are infected with. fyi.[/QUOTE]

This is not a debate site, so I will not debate with you further, but in fact the HPV test does tell you which strains you're infected with.
You should discuss this with your physician if you have further questions.

Also, on this site, you are supposed to address all comments to the original poster, not address other respondents.

ThanQ! :)

Switch96 07-13-2011 05:04 PM

The HPV DNA Test is made by Digene and is called "Hybrid Capture II". It requires a tissue sample, usually a lesion from the affected area (early cervical dysplasia or a genital wart). Most insurance companies don't cover it for low risk HPV, but for high risk HPV some doctors do utilize it. It is a known fact that 90% of HPV is caused by type 16 or 18 for high risk strains, and 6 and 11 for low risk strains, so statistically speaking if you have HPV, you definitely have one of the four. Save your money. The treatments for 16 are the same as those for 18, same deal with 6 and 11.

keshep49 07-13-2011 10:22 PM

So that is why my doctor told me since there is no way to find out which strand of high risk I have, its best to get Gardasil just in case. sounds like I have asked a physician. Hmmmm. Oh, and become a MOD if you want to try to control who posts what to who. Thanks.

Switch96 07-14-2011 12:17 PM

Yes indeed it is definitely safest to cover your bases. I was diagnosed with low risk hpv a year and a half ago, but have passed every pap test I have ever had. To remain on the safe side with the remaining common strains, I too opted to get the Gardasil shot series. The thought of cervical dysplasia still scares me crapless. The out of pocket cost for the series is about $600, so health insurance with even partial coverage will be helpful. If you are on a college campus, the health center may offer the Gardasil series for free. That was how I was able to get my last two injections at no cost. Also make sure your guyfriends (gay or straight) know they can benefit from the Gardasil vaccination as well. It was CDC and FDA approved for young men last year, and they spread it just as often as women do.