It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2011, 12:15 AM   #1
(female)

hendy11 HB User
HPV and the LEEP and my Husband... HELP!

Hello! I have been reading a lot of posts on this website for the past two weeks now and it has helped but I have some questions and concerns. I have been going to the OB/GYN for many years now and most of the time my pap comes back abnormal. I then have to go back in for a colposcopy. Then those results usually show HPV present and low or small amounts of dysplasia, but never enough to go for any other tests. I never really cared much for this test and often felt embarassed because I looked up HPV and found out it was a STD and I didn't want to think that I could have that or it would really be a problem. My doctor has been monitoring this situation for a while now and I asked other women in my family if their paps were abnormal and the majority did so I thought it was a family thing and blew it off. My mom, aunt, and cousin all have/had horrible periods like me so I just figured it was no big deal.

I recently went in for a pap test and they went ahead and did a colpo as well since I usually have to go back after the abnormal pap comes in and my doctor wanted to save me some time. I got a call from him saying my pap was normal and the colpo showed severe dysplasia. He was confused on my results so asked if he could send them to another lab. When he called back with the new results, my pap showed HPV present and severe dysplasia. He has recomended I do the LEEP procedure and I have it scheduled for Aug. 3 and I am FREAKING OUT!!

I recently got married (5 months ago actually), and I am having a hard time talking to my husband about all this. Since HPV is a STD, I don't want him thinking I was a 'busy' girl before him (I know I made some mistakes and highly reget some decisinos) and I don't want him thinking I am damaged. We want to have kids sometime soon and I am worried that the LEEP will cause problems for the future.

If anyone has any tips or ideas I need to ask my doctor about when I have my pre-op appointment, that would be great. What are some things I can expect from the LEEP and after the procedure? How to I prepare my husband and talk to him about it? I don't want to be embarassed or stressed about this but I am very scared and nervous. I hate the unknown and wish I could make the HPV go away. I feel all alone and wish it was all over.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2011, 08:37 PM   #2
(female)

Nerdlie HB UserNerdlie HB UserNerdlie HB UserNerdlie HB User
Re: HPV and the LEEP and my Husband... HELP!

Hi Hendy,

First of all, let me remind you this: this man exchanged vows with you. He's with you, in sickness and in health. For better or for worse. As long as you both shall live, not "as long as you don't have HPV". HPV is one of THE MOST COMMON STIs! 80% of the population is estimated to have it at sometime or another, most just won't develop symptoms. You really should start off my explaining that to him. It's really not related to promiscuity. You can sleep with ONE PERSON, and get HPV. It does not mean you were a "busy girl" (even if you were -- it's really nobody's business.. not even your husband's!). You need to make sure he understands, it's not a result of promiscuity. It's a result of sleeping with ONE person who had no symptoms.. there was no way for you to know. ALSO, condoms don't protect against it... so even if you were safe, it's still contractible sexually.

As for LEEP & fertility -- from what I've read/been told, it doesn't affect "fertility" or ability to conceive directly in most cases. What it does, is weaken the uterus so that labour can be difficult.. it can cause problems near the end of the pregnancy that are very treatable and easily managed in most cases. You really should direct these kinds of questions (since they are specific to your body and where the LEEP is being done) towards your OBGYN, but in general, LEEP is not associated with inability to conceive. I have actually never heard of anyone having completely impaired fertility by LEEP.. only by hysterectomy.

Try not to stress too much. If you can speak openly and honestly with your husband about this, it will be one less thing for you to worry about! Be prepared to answer any questions he might have, but just be honest (to the extent you're comfortable with). He's your husband for a reason, he wants to support you through this kinda stuff. Just give him a chance! I know it's scary -- but he can probably already tell something's on your mind. If not (because men aren't the most observant creatures) he will still be relieved to know you're comfortable sharing these kinds of issues with him, I'm sure.

Good luck with your procedure, I hope the "talk" with your husband goes smoothly! He has the potential to be a good support system for you through this, so give him a chance.

Take care!!

Closed Thread