It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2011, 11:27 PM   #1
(female)

package deal HB User
concerned mom needs info

okay i do notg have hpv but just learned my daughter has it, i need info
i understand that hpv causes cervical cancer at least according to the american cancer society
I told my daughter to be checked for that
she told me there are more then one strainws foe it
i need to know these
1 is there more then one strain of hpv?
And does hpv cause cervical cancer?

Old 10-07-2011, 09:27 PM   #2
(female)

tyrah HB User
Re: concerned mom needs info

yes there is more than one stran of HPV there is nearly 100. And yes it can cause cervical cancer and some can cause penal cancer.

one thing is good your daughter is young and her immune system is strong so she can fight the virus the best.

Last edited by Administrator; 10-07-2011 at 11:35 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-08-2011, 07:53 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

jacal5 HB Userjacal5 HB User
Re: concerned mom needs info

There are several strains of HPV, some strains can cause genital warts, and some strains can cause cervical, anal, oral and other cancers. If your daughter is sexually active you might consider the HPV vaccine for her so she doesn't pick up any strains she doesn't already have, but the vaccine does not protect against all cancer causing strains, it only protects against strains that cause 70% of cervical cancers.

Since men carry high risk HPV with no symptoms and there is no HPV medical testing for them, your daughter will never know if a man is infected or not, so to REDUCE her risk of contracting further strains she needs to abstain from physical contact or get vaccinated.

Your daughter is now legally obligated to inform any of her future partners that she has HPV, there are several lawsuits pending in the U.S. courts over HPV transmission, even among married couples.

HPV is also carried in the saliva, but the vaccine does not protect against oral (mouth) cancer in males or females. The male vaccine only protects men against wart causing strains, but not cancer causing strains, according to the vaccine manufacturer.

HPV is a sexually transmitted disease and a skin to skin contact disease, penetration need not take place to transmit the virus, even deep (French) kissing only may transmit HPV.

The Center for Disease control warns that HPV may be present on surfaces, but isn't certain if the virus can be transmitted to people from infected surfaces, so you should be careful not to share unwashed towels, underwear, bathing suit bottoms, etc. with your daughter just in case the virus can spread to you in this manner.

The Center for Disease Control and the Oral Cancer Foundation web-sites have good info on HPV.

Last edited by jacal5; 10-08-2011 at 07:55 AM.

Closed Thread