It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2011, 09:52 AM   #1
(female)

jlanette HB User
Exclamation Newbie with abnormal Pap (LSIL) Worried Please Help!

So I just received my first abnormal Pap ever and the Dr. said I have LSIL. I am 22 years old and kind of concerned because from the research I've done my age is typically recommended to come back in 6 months for another Pap and possibly HPV testing since we don't know if I even have HPV but my Dr. is sending me straight for a Colposcopy. She knows I am currently unemployed and have no way to pay for the test so she got me in a program to pay it for me. I just don't understand why my case is being treated differently. Why is she not having me return for a 2nd Pap or HPV testing first? Is it possible that there is reason for concern in my case? My Dr. has not given me much information and I just don't know what to think. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2011, 10:07 PM   #2
(female)

tyrah HB User
Re: Newbie with abnormal Pap (LSIL) Worried Please Help!

I was just dx with HPV and I had the gardisil shot when I was 25... so I dont have the 4 super dangerous strands. My doc said I should come back every 6 months for a pap to make sure the cells dont get more aggressive. If they stay stable then its fine. So I had my second pap and it was stable. Maybe you should get a second opinion??

Last edited by Administrator; 10-08-2011 at 12:33 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to tyrah For This Useful Post:
jlanette (10-08-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-17-2011, 07:15 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

curly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB Usercurly fry HB User
Re: Newbie with abnormal Pap (LSIL) Worried Please Help!

I know you're worried, but trust me, you're going to be ok. It's hard going into something you know nothing about, so I don't blame you for worrying. We were all there, trust me! So right now, the best thing you can do is educate yourself with what HPV means and what the different diagnosis and acronyms mean. It is possible that at the time of your Pap, the HPV was dormant, so it wasn't going to show up. It's a virus, after all, so you can only test for it while it's active. Think about it this way, LSIL is the product of the HPV, just like if you bleached you hair blond, you wash out the bleach, but you still have blond hair (bad analogy, lol, but it's the first thing that came to my head!).

You can do a couple things right now. You can go to another doctor and get another pap (if you're really concerned that there may be an error), you can wait a few months and get another pap, or you can go in now for a colpo, see what's really going on with those LSIL cells to make sure that they are or aren't cancerous. Ultimately, it is really up to how you chose to follow. Sometimes, doctors like to play it safe from the very beginning and go straight to the colpo as they feel the end result is usually the same (needing a colpo). And don't forget that a colpo is nothing more than an extended pap smear where they just examine the bad cells (it's maybe 7 seconds longer than the regular pap). It's nothing to fear, and will give you a great peace of mind!!!!

My first abnormal pap was also LSIL. I was scheduled for a colpo, but kept having my period on my scheduled date. 4 months after rescheduling, I stopped rescheduling., I went in for a regular pap a year later and it came back 100% normal. The next 3 (or so) paps were normal. Then, last year, I received my abnormal pap with cin 2/3. Got a LEEP, clear margins, following pap was normal (which reminds me, I'm due for another pap!) and everything is A OK!

Between the time of my first abnormal pap (which was like in '06 I believe...) and my second abnormal pap last year, each pap was nightmare. I was always scared and nervous and never even wanted to go in for my annual pap. Everytime it came back clear, but it was still a very stressful time for me and the constant worrying!!

Just do some more research on HPV, and choose what you feel is right. Ask as many questions as you need and always get copies from your doctors of your results!

Good luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to curly fry For This Useful Post:
jlanette (10-17-2011)
Closed Thread