It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2011, 10:42 AM   #1
(male)

damone HB User
Pap Smear Abnormal Result - How scared should I be?

Right now, I'm in a state of panic. My wife received a call from her OBGYN yesterday telling her that her pap test came out "abnormal". I wouldn't have worried about it at all, but she's a nervous wreck, which in turn is making me a nervous wreck. I called the doctor's office to speak with the nurse and she said it was nothing to worry about. If it was urgent, they'd have her come back right away, but instead, she's going back on Tuesday. They said it could be many different harmless things. Said it could also be HPV, which sent me for a loop not knowing much about it. Then she told me that this is very common, and that 8 out of 10 adults will get this sometime in their life, and that it usually clears up on it's own. But at this point, we don't know what it is. I'm just scared to death it could be the "C" word, as obviously, she is. Anyone ever experience anything like this before?

Old 12-22-2011, 08:05 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User
Re: Pap Smear Abnormal Result - How scared should I be?

"Has anyone else ever experienced anything like this?" Yes, pretty much everyone on this message board. You need to read the archives and also start doing research on cervical dysplasia (the cause of abnormal Paps) so you can learn the facts.

Abnormal Pap smears are very common. Usually the dysplasia resolves on its own in a few months. If it progresses or does not resolve, very minor procedures are done to remove the cells (usually the LEEP procedure) to prevent them turning into cervical cancer. Dysplasia is pretty much 100% treatable. So, calm down Your wife will be fine.

Most dysplasia (which is what causes abnormal Paps) is caused by HPV. Something like 70-90% of the adult population will be exposed to HPV at some point. IT IS EXTREMELY COMMON because it is EXTREMELY CONTAGIOUS. Also, it can stay dormant in the body for *decades,* so your wife could've acquired it many years ago or YOU could've acquired it years ago and given it to her.

As to how scared you should be? You shouldn't be scared. First of all, fear doesn't help any situation so it's not advisable to be scared Secondly, nearly 100% of cervical dysplasia cases will either resolve spontaneously, or be successfully treated, so there's no reason to panic. Good luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to Timber For This Useful Post:
slenderella (12-22-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-22-2011, 12:31 PM   #3
(male)

damone HB User

Thank you for taking the time to reply. You set my mind at ease much more.

Old 12-22-2011, 04:48 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Not only that but normal things can cause an abnormal pap. Did she have sex within 24 hours before the pap? Did she take a bubble bath the night before?/ yes, a bubble bath!

Don't worry...

Old 01-04-2012, 03:15 PM   #5
(female)

lonely90 HB User
Re: How worried should I be?

I have not had a abnormal pap test but my mother has had cervical cancer. She went for cancer treatments and now she is happy and healthy.

Please stay calm and be there to love and support her irregardless of the out come. The "c" word can be a very scary thing for families.

Best wishes

Closed Thread