It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2012, 04:26 PM   #1
(female)

Understanding1 HB User
A test to see if your body has CLEARED the hpv virus causing genital warts.

I had a case of very mild genital warts two years ago and doctors tell me that often being that Im 20 year old woman my immune will eventually fight the virus off. I only had that first outbreak and none since but I just wish I could know if it was actually still present in my body or not. Ive read here and there from those who also have genital warts that they got tested years down the road for hpv and found that there body had cleared it! Doctors in canada tell me there is yet a test for that so I must know what test is this

Old 02-19-2012, 03:48 PM   #2
(female)

Switch96 HB UserSwitch96 HB UserSwitch96 HB UserSwitch96 HB User
Re: A test to see if your body has CLEARED the hpv virus causing genital warts.

There is a test, the "Digene HPV DNA Test". It is typically only used in persistent HPV cases, such as the kind that causes cervical cancer, or for those who have had chronic recurrences of warts and have struggled to clear the virus on their own. In your case, even if a doctor had the test available, they would more than likely not subject you to the procedure. It is very expensive... around $1500 out of pocket. That, and most health insurance providers won't cover the procedure for the evaluation of a non-cancerous variety of HPV. I posed your exact same question to my doctor and health insurance provider back when I was in your position, and I was met with that exact response.

Based on what you have described, you more than likely have overcome the condition on your own. According to the CDC, 90% of cases clear on their own within two years (70% of cases within one year). Count back to the month when your symptoms disappeared, and tally up the total number of months that you have been without symptoms up until the present day. If you haven't had symptoms on over a year, you are more than likely fine. Just make sure that you are upfront with your partners, so that they can play an equal part in their health decisions. After having undergone the proper treatments to overcome the condition, you may actually be a safer option than someone who has simply never been screened but continues to sleep around.

Take care of yourself

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2012, 01:01 PM   #3
(female)

MsAnonymous HB User
Re: A test to see if your body has CLEARED the hpv virus causing genital warts.

It is quite possible for your body to clear itself of HPV. Mine did. About 2 years ago, my pap smear came back abnormal, and positive for low-risk HPV. Approximately a year and a half after that, my pap smear came back abnormal but there were less cell changes than my original pap. Now, just one month ago my pap came back normal, and HPV negative.

I do not know how things are in Canada, but my doctor, here in the US, automatically tests for HPV in cases where there is a history of abnormal paps or HPV. I'm sorry I don't know more about how you can find that out in Canada.

Closed Thread